PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky front end!

Rig
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi guys I just bought my daughter a nice 2002 and she loves it. Theres only one problem the front end squeeks and drives us nuts. It sounds like it's coming from the shocks so I sprayed it down with wd-40 and it seems to help for awhile but not for long. Does anybody have a fix? thanks, James

michealwall
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Need to know what bike (year, make, model). Most bikes have grease fitting, does your? If you push down on the front end is it soft or is it hard ? Soft tells me that the shock has lost all the fluid and needs to be replaced. Hard tells me that the shock spring is tight. It sounds like the bike needs to be greased.

Rig
05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
It's an '02 trx250ex. I wish there were grease zerks, but no luck! When I push down on the front end it's firm, but these shocks don't adjust. Maybe I'll just have to take them of the quad and lube them up.

michealwall
05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I just looked up your bike and I see there are not any grease fitting, Sorry. The shock has adjusting nuts on the bottom of the spring (to make it firm or soft). It sounds like the bushings are dry. If you take off the shock check the A arms to see if they are free. Soak the front suspension down with WD.

Good Luck, I will check back with you tomorrow

Rig
05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll do that, Thanks!

lyrikz74
06-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Rig
I'll do that, Thanks!

Support the front end. Take the front shocks off. Remove the rubber bushings that are in the shock. Clean em, put some good marine grade waterproof grease on em and slap em back in. Reinstall the shocks. Done.... WD 40 doesnt work here. Takes probably 25 minutes to do it this way..

hondariderdylan
06-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by lyrikz74
Support the front end. Take the front shocks off. Remove the rubber bushings that are in the shock. Clean em, put some good marine grade waterproof grease on em and slap em back in. Reinstall the shocks. Done.... WD 40 doesnt work here. Takes probably 25 minutes to do it this way..

good tip

lyrikz74
06-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
good tip

Thanks. I tried the whole spray lube on everything and that doesnt work. Once you get the front shocks off and the wheels are just haning, lift them up and down. If you here squeeks with the shocks out you need to lube those A arm bushings. Chances are you wont hear anything though.

Its really easy and sounds SOOO good when done. aha

hondariderdylan
06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah
mine does it occasionally
i tired the whole spray it down with spot lube thing and it never really worked

Rig
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I did it and it worked great...Thanks!!

tri5ron
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
my wifes 250ex squeaks so bad I feel like there is a thousand rats following me all day. drives me bananas!
guess i'll be doing the marine grease on the bushings too.

lyrikz74
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
my wifes 250ex squeaks so bad I feel like there is a thousand rats following me all day. drives me bananas!
guess i'll be doing the marine grease on the bushings too.

Mine have been quiet for the last few rides... Now the rear is noisy. ahaha

07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
my 2003 trx 250ex sqeuks in the front end also.....shocks are firm and mine has grease fittings...........

tri5ron
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
my 2003 trx 250ex sqeuks in the front end also.....shocks are firm and mine has grease fittings........... Yours has grease fittings?
would you mind posting a pic of the fittings?
Mine does not have any fittings and it is a '03 also :confused:

I may drill and tap for installing some zirc's. I'd like to see where yours are located.

mine was squeeking both front and rear, but I have now removed the shocks, cleaned, greased the eyelets, sleeves, bolts, and no more squeek for now.
We'l see how long that lasts, then may install some zirc's.

also, Do your front shocks have a tension adjustment for the springs? or does anyone know of a stock spring that does have some spring tension adjustability?

I need to soften up the front end on my wifes 250EX, and mine have no adjustability at all.

hondariderdylan
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
stock shocks are good for what you see

no ajustablity, nothing
if you want a softer ride, taller tires or aftermarket shocks is about your only options:ermm: