PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Problem need help

Sweendogie
05-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I brought my 2007 YFZ450 in and i told the dealership i wanted the carb cleaned nothing more than that i just wanted the carb cleaned and they told me that to clean the carb it was going to be $120...

so a week goes by and i still havent recieved a call about my quad so i decided to call to check in on it... they said they were waiting on parts for the carb, i figured that the parts were just part of the cleaning...

well another week went by and they still hadn't called so i decided to check once more and they said it was being worked on and it should be done and they would call back later...

they called back later and said the quad was done and ready to be picked up and i asked them what the total was going to be and they said it was going to be $150 for parts and $120 for labor....

it turns out they decided to rebuild the carb and order parts without my authentication of the order... so i talked to the manager and told her i never recieved a call about ordering the $150 worth of parts.... so she asked me if i just wanted them taken out of the carb and i told her to take them out....

after the phone conversation i was told by a friend they throw the old parts away after the new parts are put in...

so what should i do are they just going to give me back my carb without the parts?.... what should i do if they dont replace the parts they take out with my old parts?

fasterblaster09
05-30-2009, 08:53 PM
she would have probably mentioned somthing if they would have thrown them away, but I'd call and make sure. It would sure suck to get the bike back with missing parts

Sweendogie
05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
i tried calling them but they didnt answer... and they are closed till tuesday.... ya im pretty crappy with the whole situation... i had a problem so i figured it was the carb so i tried to clean it and it still wouldnt run right so i took it in thinking i didnt clean it good enough and did a little research at home and figured out it was the throttle positioning sensor so ive just been waiting on them to get done cleaning it and then this happened... its not my fault they messed up so wouldnt they owe me the parts anyway?

fasterblaster09
05-30-2009, 09:03 PM
yeh I doubt they would give you your stuff back like that if you didn't order it. Im sure if you raise enough hell they'll leave the new parts in it (if not for free, maybe a good price?)

Sweendogie
05-30-2009, 09:13 PM
hopefully they will

Rich250RRacer
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
$120 to clean a carb? I'm definitely not charging enough.:D

ZeroLogic
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Your nuts to pay that much to clean the carb.:eek2:

They have to give you back your old parts or replace them. If they don't you may file with the BBB.

matt14c
05-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I know dealer parts are more than what we finding them for but what the hell did they put into it for $150??? Then $120 for the labor thats insane!!!! But about the parts if you signed a labor agreement there may have been something in there that if over like a set amount they would call and ask other than that they would just finish the job. I still cannot think of what parts they put in for $150. Unless they put some sort of aftermarket bowl or some crap on it.

Sweendogie
05-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by matt14c
I know dealer parts are more than what we finding them for but what the hell did they put into it for $150??? Then $120 for the labor thats insane!!!! But about the parts if you signed a labor agreement there may have been something in there that if over like a set amount they would call and ask other than that they would just finish the job. I still cannot think of what parts they put in for $150. Unless they put some sort of aftermarket bowl or some crap on it.

when i told them no one ever called me to authorize the parts the guy said that someone would of had to authorize buying any parts so im in the clear about the labor agreement....

they were trying to charge me 120 for cleaning the carb 150 for the parts (which they said included o rings gaskets and the diaphragm for the accelerator pump... rediculous i know) then another 180 for the throttle positioning sensor because they said the spring went bad so they couldnt adjust it.... im just going to bypass the tps.... if i would of known my problem i would have just fixed it myself but i researched a bit too late.... ill definitely file with the BBB if they dont replace my parts

SRH
05-31-2009, 12:39 AM
correct me if im wrong but i beleive the tps is necessary, its the tors you want to bypass...

your getting ripped dude, most labor rates are no more than $70 a hr, if they can not dissassemble and re assemble a carb in 15-20 minutes something is wrong

cleaning the carb is usually no more than pulling your jets, cleaning the orfices and checking the jets out....

im not sure what a oem accelerator pump diaphram goes for but www.ronnies.com has online microfiche with the list oem prices you can double check...

now if they were diagnosing a carb issue not just a cleaning i could understand 2 hrs labor between the diagnosis, cleaning, assembly and dissassembly, but thats more than enough time

so 120 for labor is alright, but i know moose sells a rebuild kit for most carbs for 30 bucks..... and jets are 4-5 bucks a peice...and a needle isnt much over 10-15

to me it doesnt add up, if they can show you where there is that much in parts and you look it up and there not bsing you and the work was not agreed on but needed they did you a favor imo but they should of authorized it, if you wanted to be tough you can probably get the parts they put in for half price or nothing depends on how reputable of a place they are

Sweendogie
05-31-2009, 01:37 AM
yea its a pretty reputable place... i feel like they were trying to take advantage of me from the beginning to tell you the truth...

the problem i had stemmed from me putting on an accelerator pump cover for the carb.... the quad ran fine but i installed the accelerator pump cover and i hit the tps pretty hard on the frame rail trying to twist the carb off and my quad would not run right i thought the carb was just dirty so i took it up to the dealership to get it cleaned... i even told them that i just wanted the carb cleaned and nothing else but they still said it sounded like the timing and they wanted to open up the top end but i said no, i had just checked the timing and adjusted the valves a couple months back

after i dropped my quad off i researched online and found someone that had the same exact problem i had and he had just unplugged the tps and it fixed his problem... so i called up to the dealership and told the guy to check out the TPS to see if it was out of spec so if it was i could just bring it home and unplug it to see if it fixed my problem, he said he would but he was still going to clean the carb... i dont like to argue so i just let him clean the carb, i figured it wouldnt hurt, well a week went by and they never called me so i decided to call and check up on it today since they are closed tomorrow and monday

they said they were working on it and they would call me when it was done.. so a couple hours later i got a call saying that they had installed all the parts, cleaned the carb and that the quad still wouldnt run right and that it was the TPS (just like i had said) and it was going to be $180 to get a new one to replace it.... im 18 and work at subway so i dont really have $180 extra to spend on the tps so at this point i just want the quad back to bypass the tps so i told him i was just going to pick it up today and thats when he told me it was going to be $280...

they charge 80 an hour and they did a diagnosis too i dont have a problem with that i just dont want to be stuck with a carb thats missing parts ill pay the $120 i just want it back the way i dropped it off so i can fix it

oh and the diaphragm is only like $15 on mrcycles.com and i dont see gaskets and o rings adding up to $135

SRH
05-31-2009, 10:24 PM
what you need to do is make sure since nothing was wrong with the carb that it comes back with a fully intact carb and the quad is ready to ride. if they charged you for diagnosing the problem and then in turn replaced parts that were totally uneeded and took parts out and gave u the qaud back id flip out....

pay there labor, and any parts related to the actual fix, and i would not pay for anything else, if there was no parts to fix it and your just going to bypass the tors then it should just be labor, i dont think they can bypass it for insurance reasons so they will have to fix the problem the correct way

dont let them jerk you around, they might of read you as a young gullable kid

so without a doubt unless you want to scumbag them you have to pay whatever they tell you for labor, if the probelm was tors, take it back broke and bypass it on your own and give them the dough for labor, if they replaced the tors and its ready to ride say look, you never authorized this with me you can refuse to pay for it or say give me dealer cost on it and give me some store credit or something... i highly doubt youll be able to fully avoid some of the parts bill

BakerRacing40
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
at one point in time i thought i'd just be easier to drop it off at a shop and all they did was put on a resistor kit (helps 04/05 yfz charging issue) cost 40 for parts and just clean the carb and change the oil while they had it in there, said should be about 150 - 175..... well after over a week i went to get it and it was 283$ and some change. i paid to get it back and later i found that took a cut off wheel to my skid plate to get to the drain plug out.... so i just work on my own ever since so i five years of doing it myself i've learned a lot of how to and a lot of how not to lol ... but it really sucks getting stuck with a price that wasn't told before..

Quad18star
05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
When you dropped the quad off , did they make you sign the work order? They should have outlined the work they were doing and unless you signed off initially when you dropped it off that they could "add" parts to the work order , they should not have done any other work to it.

Everywhere I've worked, we never proceeded with adding parts to the work order and installing things unless we had permision from the vehicle's owner either written or verbal.

Sweendogie
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
When you dropped the quad off , did they make you sign the work order? They should have outlined the work they were doing and unless you signed off initially when you dropped it off that they could "add" parts to the work order , they should not have done any other work to it.

Everywhere I've worked, we never proceeded with adding parts to the work order and installing things unless we had permision from the vehicle's owner either written or verbal.

i told them i didnt authorize the parts to be bought so she asked if i wanted them taken out and i said yes and they took them out.... i just hope they put my old stuff back in and dont leave me with a bum carb

Sweendogie
06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by SRH
what you need to do is make sure since nothing was wrong with the carb that it comes back with a fully intact carb and the quad is ready to ride. if they charged you for diagnosing the problem and then in turn replaced parts that were totally uneeded and took parts out and gave u the qaud back id flip out....

pay there labor, and any parts related to the actual fix, and i would not pay for anything else, if there was no parts to fix it and your just going to bypass the tors then it should just be labor, i dont think they can bypass it for insurance reasons so they will have to fix the problem the correct way

dont let them jerk you around, they might of read you as a young gullable kid

so without a doubt unless you want to scumbag them you have to pay whatever they tell you for labor, if the probelm was tors, take it back broke and bypass it on your own and give them the dough for labor, if they replaced the tors and its ready to ride say look, you never authorized this with me you can refuse to pay for it or say give me dealer cost on it and give me some store credit or something... i highly doubt youll be able to fully avoid some of the parts bill

ya i dont care about paying for the labor i already told them i wasnt paying for the parts... and they cant bypass the TPS or tors i already asked the guy and he said you cant bypass either and that you need both of them for the quad to run right... so i just want the carb back the way i took it in so i can bypass it myself

Sweendogie
06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Your nuts to pay that much to clean the carb.:eek2:

They have to give you back your old parts or replace them. If they don't you may file with the BBB.

if they dont give me back my old parts should i threaten to get the BBB involved or do i just file a claim and let them deal with it?

Sweendogie
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Well this is what i got back today... they didnt make me pay anything they just told me to come pick up my stuff and they waived the fee.... they gave me a parts list of what i needed though but im still kinda pissed off i feel like i got screwed and i took my carb in for nothing

Quad18star
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
So you went in with a carb that had parts and was working ... and left with a parts list and a carb that doesn't work?

If that is so , buddy you got shafted !!!

Sweendogie
06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
So you went in with a carb that had parts and was working ... and left with a parts list and a carb that doesn't work?

If that is so , buddy you got shafted !!!

yep thats exactly what happened $130 parts list do they have rebuild kits? ... they said they cleaned my carb for free though:ermm:

Quad18star
06-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sweendogie
yep thats exactly what happened $130 parts list do they have rebuild kits? ... they said they cleaned my carb for free though:ermm:

What exactly is wrong with the carb? Like what parts do they say it needs?

For $130, you may want to call around to salvage yards ... you may be able to pick up a carb for less.. just a thought. Check out ebay for rebuild kits.

Sweendogie
06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
a bunch of gaskets and o rings then 2 diaphragms a needle valve and a clip the 1 of the diaphragms is 30 alone... i just really got screwed.... where would i go about finding a salvage yard for quads?

Quad18star
06-03-2009, 04:25 AM
a bunch of gaskets and o rings then 2 diaphragms a needle valve and a clip the 1 of the diaphragms is 30 alone... i just really got screwed.... where would i go about finding a salvage yard for quads?

I know needle valves usually are quite expensive . :S

One place that comes to mind is East Coast ATV ... but I'm sure if you just google ATV Salvage you'll be able to find more places.

Sweendogie
06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I know needle valves usually are quite expensive . :S

One place that comes to mind is East Coast ATV ... but I'm sure if you just google ATV Salvage you'll be able to find more places.

awesome thanks

mxpimp2000
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
u can find a fairly new but used carb off the forums for sale threads at a good price and just keep urs for parts or sale it for parts. u never know if u will need the things that are still good in the carb, choke/floats/jets/etc.:ermm:

Sweendogie
06-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
u can find a fairly new but used carb off the forums for sale threads at a good price and just keep urs for parts or sale it for parts. u never know if u will need the things that are still good in the carb, choke/floats/jets/etc.:ermm:

ya i should of just got a new carb... ive been looking on ebay and here for a new carb but i figured i would just try and put mine back together

Sweendogie
06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I would do something about this. You took in a working carb and they took $130 worth of **** out of it. Don't let them walk all over you man.

yea... the bill was going to be about $270 with parts labor carb clean and a diagnosis.... they waived all my fees and took out all the parts and gave me a parts list... the past couple of days ive been going through my carb and have found bolts and other stuff missing so i called her and shes buying the parts that are missing off the parts list... im still crappy and im sure ill find more parts missing

Ferris
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
where would i go about finding a salvage yard for quads?

You could ask me. I've got several yfz carb's in stock and all work perfectly.

Sweendogie
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Ferris
You could ask me. I've got several yfz carb's in stock and all work perfectly.

man if you would have posted that up a week ago i would have bought one but i alright bought one from another guy thanks though

Sweendogie
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
ok so i got my carb and bike back and was trying to turn it over and the battery was dead... so we jumped it and it would turn over but it just stopped... we thought it was electrical so i got a new battery and tried to turn it over and it still wouldnt turn over... i tried to push start it and it still wouldnt turn over so i pulled the plug and it still wouldnt turn over even when push starting.... we looked at the plug and there was no gap like it had been smashed and we looked down the spark plug hole with a borescope and the piston is dented and scratched to hell like something is inside the cylinder... am i wrong to think this is the dealerships fault? if not how could i get them to replace this...

Ferris
06-22-2009, 05:15 PM
ok so i got my carb and bike back and was trying to turn it over and the battery was dead... so we jumped it and it would turn over but it just stopped... we thought it was electrical so i got a new battery and tried to turn it over and it still wouldnt turn over... i tried to push start it and it still wouldnt turn over so i pulled the plug and it still wouldnt turn over even when push starting.... we looked at the plug and there was no gap like it had been smashed and we looked down the spark plug hole with a borescope and the piston is dented and scratched to hell like something is inside the cylinder... am i wrong to think this is the dealerships fault? if not how could i get them to replace this...

I'd pull the head off and find out what it is. If the dealership only cleaned the carb I don't see how something would have gotten in the cylinder.

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Ferris
I'd pull the head off and find out what it is. If the dealership only cleaned the carb I don't see how something would have gotten in the cylinder.

found a washer in the cylinder... check this thread out

washer in cylinder (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401041)