PDA

View Full Version : kickstart install

moshachusetts
05-30-2009, 07:18 PM
has anybody installed a kickstart kit on their kfx? if so, how did the install go and how well does it work? also is kawi the only one that makes one or are there other companies?

thanks

MtnEX
06-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Been thinking about it for the future too...

Do you have a priceline on the kit?

It will not eliminate the electric start or the need for a battery, but it might produce better starts.... or get you started that one time your battery has the power to prime but not start.

Endo636
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
My buddie put his in... said it toohim about 45 minutes rom reading the instructions... I priced one from ride now power sports for 276$.. I am only installing it because of the obvious battery problem they have.. i wish the fuel injection could be a stand a lone like the ltr450 but sadly it doesnt work that way.. Once installed ill post up my opinions

250racer2010
08-15-2009, 07:22 PM
iv ben thinking abt putting one on mine cuz i race xc and iv heard they start so much faster than the electric start. wat problems r u having with ur battery if u dont mind me asking

KFX450Rrider490
08-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 250racer2010
iv ben thinking abt putting one on mine cuz i race xc and iv heard they start so much faster than the electric start. wat problems r u having with ur battery if u dont mind me asking
what are the problems because they can be bump started from a completly dead battery(the nuteral light wouldnt even come on)
so whats the difference??

MtnEX
08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 300exrider490
leftover 08 kfx 450r
pro aluminum full skids
pro aluminum double net nerf bars

Have any pics up anywhere with that gear mounted?

hilltop_83
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
has anybody done this yet and been able to get rid of the battery?? cause im thinkin about getting a kawi for woods cause it has reverse but dont want to deal with the battery...im tired of that

MtnEX
10-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by hilltop_83
has anybody done this yet and been able to get rid of the battery?? cause im thinkin about getting a kawi for woods cause it has reverse but dont want to deal with the battery...im tired of that

Can't eliminate the battery on this one.

It's fuel injected and needs the battery for the fuel pump.

The reverse is suuuuper nice on it though.
So easy.

hilltop_83
10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
so would the kickstart be a back up to start the quad with a dead battery?!?! why did team kawi have them this year??

MtnEX
10-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by hilltop_83
so would the kickstart be a back up to start the quad with a dead battery?!?! why did team kawi have them this year??

Team Kawi had them for FASTER STARTS.

They fire faster and better from a kick than the start button....

My guess is because the battery sucks.
But that is only a guess.

Roll-starting has worked for me as a backup for starting with a dead battery.... dead as in say 11.5 volts.

So I see no reason why the kick lever would be any different.

They tell me though that the bike won't run right without a fully charged battery (12.8 volts), and they may be right because I don't think mine is running exactly right.

But anyways, I do know you CAN'T eliminate the battery, because it MUST have enough juice to prime the fuel pump.

This has been taken care of with a new system on the MX bikes. I hope it trickles down to the ATV at some point in the form of a kit.

hilltop_83
10-25-2009, 09:28 PM
i might wait another year and see what they come up with. thanks man

miles Machine
10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
couldnt you just make a sub harness with a capacitor so that it holds voltage to prime the pump without the battery??

MtnEX
11-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about this today...

Doesn't this kicker kit kick 'back' like most dirtbikes instead of forward?

If so, does anyone know how much clearance is needed?

It would be good to know so folks could figure out if it will work with their heel guard of choice.

Not everything offers the room the DG double net nerfs Team Kawi runs.

Drewltr450
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
get an ltr we can take our batterys off :devil:

250Renvy
11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I know it semi defeats the purpose but I've heard some people went back to a regular carb. This would allow you to completely eliminate the battery and the electric start motor and strip down the harness a bit. (for weight savings).

I will be looking into options of what to do with the fuel pump if you eliminate the FI.

MtnEX
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I am considering the carburetor option now too since my wiring got destroyed the other day.

We were riding, stopped and parked in the yard by the front porch to come in for dinner. Went back out and found a dead rat and destroyed quad. Some dog was evidently chasing a rat, which ran up into my quad trying to get away, and the dog destroyed my quad in the process of getting it.

About $1,000 in damage if I go back stock.
Gotta replace the fuel pump and all.

Sprks450r04
11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
i was told that the carb option is around 2500

jigg14
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah BCS makes a carb kit. I think it runs around $2200. But i was sponsored by the last season so that might not be their full retail price.

250Renvy
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
What did you do for the fuel pump? Did you take it out and what did you replace it with?

jigg14
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I didn't do the conversion kit. I'm sure you could call or email BCS and they'll tell you.

JParisi48
12-09-2009, 05:45 PM
i think the carb kit is a waste of money and you could do plenty of other things to your bike first to get more power, and for ALOT cheaper

jigg14
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't the reason for the carb kit is for power. I think it is because a carb is more conventional. More people know how to work on a carb than fuel injection. Also it cuts down on a TON of wiring and you can run a kick start without a battery.

I am fine with leaving the fuel injection on mine.