PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help

matt14c
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Im going to be pulling my side cover off to replace my timing chain and I believe I have read that I have to remove the clutch also. Are there any hints or anything for doing so? I have never removed or messed with a clutch before? Also are there any sign of wear or anything that I need to look for while I have it apart. Its a 99 and has some hours on it. Its not one that only gets ridden once a year or nothing like that. Again not sure what to look for or what to even check on really. I have the honda repair manual so I will be using that as my guide.

honda400ex2003
05-30-2009, 09:09 PM
yup to do the chain you have to take the basket and such off too. make sure when you do the clutch to keep track of the place where the plates are since the last one out the furtherest to the end is in a different slot. you have to hold the basket still and use an impact or something on it. i used an old drive belt and a vice grip with the belt wrapped around stuff but there is a tool made for this procedure. you can check out the specs on the plates to see if they are getting thin and replace if needed. check for grooves in your basket where the plates sit. the rest should not be too bad for you with a manual. i think it talks you through it mostly and just make sure you dont drop it down in the crank when putting it all back together. other wise you have to snag it out, lol. good luck, steve

rob_990
05-31-2009, 09:36 AM
i got a tusk clutch holder for 15 bucks.it made it so much easier.before you take the clutch out get a sharpie and draw a line over all the plates so its lined up like it was before when u put it back together.

the right cover suctions on really tight so theres a knob on the top of it where you can use a screwdriver/hammer to tap it to get it to break loose.

omeeomy
05-31-2009, 10:44 AM
you can get a new clutch kit form motosport.com for 60 bucks with new heavy duty springs
why not just replace it while your in there
then ya know its new also
just replaced mine wasent to hard

matt14c
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
you can get a new clutch kit form motosport.com for 60 bucks with new heavy duty springs
why not just replace it while your in there
then ya know its new also
just replaced mine wasent to hard

Is it a good clutch kit though??? Im a pretty big believer of "you get what you pay for"

omeeomy
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
works great so far
seems to be good so far its drivin brand
just dont buy the veserah brand