PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you need new shocks??

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 10:41 AM
juss as the question says... how do u know?? do the shocks squeak alot and after weeks of tryin to stop it, it still squeaks??

i dont know alot about them so im wanderin when i would need new ones

wheeltrax
01-04-2003, 10:49 AM
You know when you need new ones when they are really worn..bottoming out.. and slow rebound that sort. Then its time for a new pair of shocks

JabberJaw
01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Here are just a few ways to tell if you need new shocks:

1. Your bike looks fine until you sit on it, but when you do the muffler drags the ground.

2. After landing a 36" jump, it takes several seconds for you to correct your vision.

3. After landing a 6 foot jump, it takes several days for you to regain conciousness.

4. After a day of riding at the track, you are now 4 inches shorter.

5. Everytime you land, you think someone is shooting at you.

6. When you come across bumpy terrain, you start to cry.

7. You are able to compress your shocks, only one time.

8. You have been drinking beer, and you just got paid.

9. Your friend just got top of the line shocks over the weekend, and you know he is going to brag next time he see's you.

10. You just purchased a brand new Blaster.

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 10:54 AM
when i land i hear a loud banging sound, does that mean i need new shocks??

Nausty
01-04-2003, 11:11 AM
no it just means your just botteming out thats all, I do it all the time cuz I got my shocks adjusted soft for the whoops and rough stuff. Try landing on the gas and if you are constantly botteming out and ride on motorcross tracks a lot you might wanna get new aftermarket shocks.

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 12:04 PM
stupid question...... how do i know when i bottom out (like i said b4 i dont know alot about shocks)?? is it that bang noise i hear when i land??

wheeltrax
01-04-2003, 01:02 PM
yep!

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 02:29 PM
so if i do that off of everyjump does that mean i need new ones or is that what usually happens??

cause we have a triple up here thats about 20 feet long its more of an air jump them like speed, it does have a landing but i alwayz land perfect or near perfect cause i pitch the quad while its in the air.... even though i do that i still hear the bang sound

need new ones then?

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
bump

TC17
01-04-2003, 10:16 PM
how long have you had it? if you've had it for a few years, your bushings might be loose and you might get less compression. then you would need new shocks. if it's really loud, sounds horrible, and hurts your wrists when you land your shocks are wasted. yeah, you shouldn't be bottoming at only 20feet. i went over to this business with a little snow bank and we got a measure tape and i was a little over 20 feet long and i wasn't bottoming so you definitly shouldn't be bottoming. i was landing flat and if you were landing perfect on a lgood landing that's not good. i learned how to pitch the bike side to side in the air. it's easier than i thought. my dad said 4 feet high 20 feet long. it was a quickie jump. just pracitcing in the air adjustments for racing. oh, reminds me, i'll have those pics like i said tom or the next day. i haven't been out by Wal-Mart lately.

DaveEX7
01-05-2003, 10:22 AM
ya sometimes it does hurt my left wrist when i land... so i need new shocks for the 250, but im not gettin ne thing for thta pile of shyt, im waitin till i get the 400 then when my shocks are toast on that, then il relpace them

ya as soon as u get those pics, send them in

Nausty
01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
yah speed demon thats would I would do and did do. When I was 13 I had a blaster and no matter what I couldn't climb the hills I was capable of because it didn't have the power and didn't have the suspension for jumping and it couldn't wheelie worth crap. I didn't mod one thing on it and just put that money towards a new 400ex.

Sparky416ex
01-05-2003, 07:19 PM
when i bought my axis they told me if your shocks dnt bottom out atleast once on a otocross track lower the compression of your shock...if they are bttoming out once (but not real hard) its on a perfect setting...they say this so you know you are getting full use of your shock!

DaveEX7
01-05-2003, 07:24 PM
makes sense

DaveEX7
01-06-2003, 01:59 PM
bump

DaveEX7
01-07-2003, 09:40 AM
bumperoonie