PDA

View Full Version : HD head studs

thebig450es
05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Im planning on boring and going with a high compression piston, where can i buy HD studs and how do i install them . Thanks

lilyamaharacer4
05-30-2009, 02:38 PM
A machine shop has to install the studs

thebig450es
05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I found GT Thunder has them with directions , anyone else?

droppedmazda
05-30-2009, 06:00 PM
t&t motorsports will sell you the studs and put them in for $135. they're a sponser on this site. their ad is on the first page of this site also. IMO they're way better studs than gt thunder. give jimmy a call and ask him about it.

rob_990
05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
GTT

malibuj
06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I have a brand new set GTT head studs I don't need. Bought them then I sold the bike.

PM me if interested.

Jason

Honda5
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
The gtt studs work great.
malibuj if he doesn't want them shoot me a price for them

2muchquad
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
if you look around there are hd studs that thread into the stock cylinder threads so you dont need any machine work,they are a bigger diameter

zrpilot
06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by droppedmazda
t&t motorsports will sell you the studs and put them in for $135. they're a sponser on this site. their ad is on the first page of this site also. IMO they're way better studs than gt thunder. give jimmy a call and ask him about it.

Why are they better?

2muchquad
06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
for some reason there is a lot of loyalty to gt,like i guess they are the authority when it comes to the 400ex...:rolleyes:

droppedmazda
06-03-2009, 02:40 AM
they are bigger than gtt. they are are longer also. i had gtt in my bike and blew a head gasket so i went looking for new ones and found the ones that t&t has and tried them. so far i love them.

why would you want a stud that threads into the stock holes. the problem isn't that they break. the problem is that they pull out of the cylinder. so by being longer and fatter at the threads, it helps so that they are alot harder to pull out.

zrpilot
06-03-2009, 05:39 AM
they are bigger than gtt. they are are longer also. i had gtt in my bike and blew a head gasket so i went looking for new ones and found the ones that t&t has and tried them. so far i love them.

why would you want a stud that threads into the stock holes. the problem isn't that they break. the problem is that they pull out of the cylinder. so by being longer and fatter at the threads, it helps so that they are alot harder to pull out.
I don't know about the T&T head studs, but you are wrong about the GT Thunder studs.

They are bigger then stock, use a longer and bigger thread and should be put in by a professional because the head must be drilled deeper and then threaded using a ROLL form thread.

When you had the GT Thunder heads studs, you must have re-cut the threads on your head and the T&T head studs share this same thread?

here is a picture of the stock vs. GT Thunder head studs and you can clearly see they are bigger.

F-16Guy
06-03-2009, 06:22 AM
A roll form tap is the key. If you re-cut the threads, you'll probably end up in the same boat down the road. If Honda would roll the threads during manufacturing, there probably wouldn't be so many issues.

droppedmazda
06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
i wasnt saying that gtt wasn't bigger than stock. "2muchquad" said that you could get studs to thread into the stock holes. that is what i was talking about. the gtt studs are bigger than stock but smaller than t&t studs. we had to take the gtt studs out and drilll and tap the holes bigger for the new studs. i'm not trying to say gtt studs wont work but the t&t suds are cheaper and seem to work better for me. i'm running 14.1 compression with a 4 mil stroke and nitrous and they're holding up great.

zrpilot
06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
i wasnt saying that gtt wasn't bigger than stock. "2muchquad" said that you could get studs to thread into the stock holes. that is what i was talking about. the gtt studs are bigger than stock but smaller than t&t studs. we had to take the gtt studs out and drilll and tap the holes bigger for the new studs. i'm not trying to say gtt studs wont work but the t&t suds are cheaper and seem to work better for me. i'm running 14.1 compression with a 4 mil stroke and nitrous and they're holding up great.

Did you re-bore after you put the head studs in?

droppedmazda
06-04-2009, 02:12 AM
no, why would i?

zrpilot
06-04-2009, 05:33 AM
no, why would i?

Because the act of cutting larger threads that are closer to the cylinder sleeve has a great pontential to distort the cylinder bore causeing it to go out of round.

Mine did after Laz put the HD heads studs and had to re-bore to make round again.

bbender85
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
zrpilot how far out was it? my head studs are in the mail, and i am hoping i can get away with just a hone, since i'm already at 88mm.

zrpilot
06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
zrpilot how far out was it? my head studs are in the mail, and i am hoping i can get away with just a hone, since i'm already at 88mm. A good hone will work as well.

droppedmazda
06-04-2009, 10:22 AM
we did hone the cylinder after the studs were back in. everything seems to be working fine. we have already raced it once since the head studs and are racing tonight. i hope to have video up of the bike racing after tonights race.