PDA

View Full Version : Need help cleaning carb..

illusion450r
05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
My 450 has been sitting for about a year and half (due to ACL and MCL tear/reconstruction) and it won't start. I'm guessing it has to be the carb because the gas has been sitting there for a year as well.

Problem is...I've never opened up a carb let alone taken off the front fairing. I have no idea where to start and what tools I'll need or even how to reach the carb. Any and all help will be appreciated.

450R NOOB
06-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Take off fenders, gas tank, the regular stuff. remove hot start cable by unscrewing it from carb (throttle comes later). Loosen 2 boots on either side of carb. Take the 2 or 3 wires coming out of the carb from the connectors. Now pull the carb out of the boots, only the throttle cable should be attached (I think?). unscrew the screw that is holding the black cover on. you will see where the throttle cable goes and just pull the cable up and out of the metal piece. REmove carb. Basically unscrew everything you see and blow it with compressed air. Bottom side where the big nut is, is the float bowl/jets. Reply for more help cleaning.