PDA

View Full Version : 250r registration

noissesboyobyal
05-30-2009, 09:46 AM
do 250r's come with transferable registrations? somebody told me they didn't, as they didn't start making it manditory for registrations on bikes untill the 90's. somebody wants to buy my bike and have it registered, what do i do?

Fear250r
05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I believe you would need a title.

alltorquedup
05-30-2009, 10:25 AM
It all depends on the state were it was bought in if it has a title and were it is going for getting a new one. I heard New Jersey is a big pain. PA brought out the title law I beleive in mid 1986, so all quads bought new in PA after 86 have titles somewhere. If you have a quad that was sold before the title law, PA says that the person buying the quad is required to get a title when it is sold from the origonal owner. A lot of people don't transfer them. You have to check New York laws. If the quad is going out of state to PA and it was never there before, there should no trouble getting a PA title. I did it with an R I bought in Mass. All I had was a bill of sale. I went right to PA DCNR, they checked the VIN, had no record of it, and I walked out with a title and plate.

noissesboyobyal
05-30-2009, 02:04 PM
thanks for the help guys, i bought it from florida, not sure if that was where the first owner bought it but that's where i got it. i dont think this person is taking it out of state, so i will call my DMV and see what we can do. thanks alot again -jay

deathman53
05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
New Jersey isn't too bad, you need a notorized bill of sale in your name from whom you bought it from. With vin number clearly on it. Atv's aren't titled in NJ. Now the vin is later checked, so you will want to try to run it, to find out if its stolen, before you register it.

dynofox
05-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by noissesboyobyal
do 250r's come with transferable registrations? somebody told me they didn't, as they didn't start making it manditory for registrations on bikes untill the 90's. somebody wants to buy my bike and have it registered, what do i do?

It is actually quite easy to register an ATV in NY without any paper work. The last 5 ATVs I've bought didn't come with any paper work and all were registered and insured while I owned them including many 3-wheelers). If you've got someone who wants your R and wants to register it after they buy it they will need the following NYS DMV forms: MV 82, MV 51, MV 51B and a DTF 802. All of these forms can be printed off the NYS DMV website (http://www.nysdmv.com/forms.htm). Other than these forms all that is needed is either a clear VIN tracing or good quality photo of the VIN and the new registrants driver's license. As the seller you'll need to sign a few spots on the paper work so have the forms ready when you sell it or have the guy you're selling it to bring them so you can sign the required spots. You can give the buyer a bill of sale but really isn't needed as the DT 802 form acts as a bill of sale. Once the machine is registered like this you'll receive a nontransferable reg but a new transferable reg will be mailed to you in about a month.

BTW it does not matter what state the machine comes from to do this, I've had one come from VA and a few from PA, the paper work is exactly the same.

brokenmike
06-02-2009, 05:52 AM
I got my 86 R from ohio with a title. I took the title to the NJ DMV . They took the title and gave me a registration card in my name. Thats all I got....

knobbyboy
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I live in NC and off road vehicles have no reg, even when purchased new. My 250R came from MI and it has a title which matches the vin on the frame. I don't need this for anything in NC but it might come in handy if I ever sell the quad or the frame out of state.