PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Research

thedeatons
05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey guys... The stock radiator has me wanting a bit more cooling in the power sucking dunes.

What can you tell me about these radiators:

PWR?

Fluidyne?

Afco?

Which one would you get and why?

(I need one that works with my OMF Shrouds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I am looking for one, so if you have something let me know, new or used....

James

jcs003
05-30-2009, 05:41 AM
i believe they are all dual pass cores which makes for more efficient cooling. they also have more capacity.

fluidyne are more versatile in the outlets than the others.

250r__Ice
05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I just bought a radiator from JRD. Its the one like Andy Lagzdins uses on his 250R.
Here is the link to his build on the forum.
It is twice the size as stock. Havent put it on yet but it looks good. It was $250.00
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=381413&perpage=13&highlight=andy&pagenumber=9

250Renvy
05-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 250r__Ice
I just bought a radiator from JRD. Its the one like Andy Lagzdins uses on his 250R.
Here is the link to his build on the forum.
It is twice the size as stock. Havent put it on yet but it looks good. It was $250.00
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=381413&perpage=13&highlight=andy&pagenumber=9

Did you buy it brand new - from JRD recently? Do they still make them?

Deatons:

Some info on the radiators you asked about.

PWR - everything stock fits on it. It's 25% larger capacity but very similar to stock.

Afco - dual pass - upto 50% more capacity - not quite 2x - has funny end and a different hose pattern than stock. Not sure if shrouds bolt up or not.

Fluidyne - Well built - I'd say 50% more capacity - very similar to OEM but shrouds don't work. Require similar shrouds like Walsh rads I believe - discontinued and no longer available new. Many are labelled IMS on them.

PWR would be my choice just because it's closest fit to stock. JRD would be my second choice because it holds so much but I'm not sure if it wears out the impellar faster.

Aceman
05-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Afco - dual pass - upto 50% more capacity - not quite 2x - has funny end and a different hose pattern than stock. Not sure if shrouds bolt up or not.
Shrouds fit mine just like they fit the stock radiator.

Originally posted by 250Renvy
JRD would be my second choice because it holds so much but I'm not sure if it wears out the impellar faster.
Why would more capacity wear out the impeller faster?

thedeatons
05-30-2009, 09:30 PM
After talking with the owner of Janssen today, I had to go with the Afco. He said he could get me the PWR for $329, had them sitting there, and could ship it right out, but he said his personal money is on the Afco..... Long story short, the Afco seems to be top of the heap.

Since we plan on keeping this for a while, I wanted to get something I wouldn't regret. Should do wonders for this 256R....

FYI, this whole search started because at St. Anthony's, on a 75 degree day, at 4000', the temps were reaching 200 at the top of some of the long climbs similar to Choke Cherry. Going up the super fine sand on "the stairsteps" the temp got to 250 again, pegging the gauge at the top of the climb. It took forever to cool off, and I could viisibly see the Engine Ice boiling inside my clear, braided vinyl, Lowe's radiator hoses. The hoses never skipped a beat though, so I would say they are temperature rated quite well!!!! They discolor just a tinge to the hue of the coolant after getting really hot, but not enough to make me want to replace them....

05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Do you have a name and number for the owner of Janssen? I want to get a radiator for my ATC 250R 1986

Carlos.

250r__Ice
05-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Yea. Its brand new for $250.00 plus shipping. Just go it Saturday. Fit just like Andy said. Had to bend the bottom radiator tabs down just a fuzz, and inlarge the holes a bit. Had to work with the hoses some also.I had to drill a hole a 1/4 of an inch to the left on the upper radiator mounts so it would clear the stem okay.I also put some small washers behind the stering stem block for a little added clearance. I was needing to do this anyway. I was able to use my aluminum shrouds and rock guard with no problem. Its big and it fits tight. Mine held a half gallon of Engine Ice. It may fit different on an after market frame. Some stuff I put on my R fits like a glove, other stuff you have to work with. This I had to work with some. All in all I like it. May ride tomorrow and see how it does. If I get a chance ill post pictures. Good luck with your choice.