PDA

View Full Version : shimming needle

jrafter
05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
i have an 05 without the adjustable needle valve.

where can i get the washer shim.....what size is it.

richards
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Just pull the needle and slide and take them to a hardware store. That way you can test fit to find something that works well. If you can find something thin, like .5mm, that would be ideal. Then you can experiment using 1, 2, or 3 washers to find the right needle position.

You need to find a decent hardware store though, I doubt you will find anything good at the big box stores.

jrafter
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
anyone have pics of the slide and needle and how it comes apart.

soonerdude77
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't remember the # size that they were but when I did this to my KLR I went to radio shack for the washers. You can get a bag of 20 I think for about a dollar.

jrafter
05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
thank you

very good idea........... i was going to pull it apart and take the needle with me

richards
05-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jrafter
anyone have pics of the slide and needle and how it comes apart.

There are pics in the shop manual, do you have one of those? Not a bad investment if you are going to do your own work.

Basically you remove the top of the carb, remove the set screw and washer that lock the linkage onto the shaft, then slide the shaft out enough to free the linkage. At that point you can pull on the linkage and it will come out with the needle and slide attached. Then remove the 2 screws holding the linkage to the slide and remove the linkage. Now the needle will slide out of the slide.

jrafter
05-30-2009, 02:41 PM
i do just not with me