PDA

View Full Version : please help stipped CYLINDER HEAD thread

smokindw
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
so i was putting my heager back on and the one bolt that holds the header bracket onto the cylinder head cross threaded and stipped the threads out of the cylinder hole!! the actual bolt itself isnt stipped its the threads that go into the cylinder head that r stripped. i feel like a total doushbag right now and really need some serious suggestions PLEASE i dont wana have 2 take my wheller 2 the stealership and get ripped off!! in the pic that im posting its the bolts#14 that im talking bout that go into the head-once again im just using the pic so u can see where the bolts go into the head thats the hole that i stripped.
http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=521372&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2006&fveh=12018
i dont know if i can tap it or any suggestions would really help.

f4istunna
05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
You could helicoil it. Dont sweat it we've all been there.:rolleyes:

Snipe
05-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Retap the hole with a thread die

2001trx400ex
06-17-2009, 11:55 PM
dont feel bad at all i needed a new piston and rings in my 01 400ex bored it out a little by a local guy who everyone says does amazing work everything was great but i started leaking oil he stripped 2 ya thats righ 2 of my cylinder head bolts so im in the same exact position right now lol small world now i have to heli coil them for it to stop leaking or any damage thats the best and cheapest way to do it hope that helps lol!!!

katch26
06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
yeah helicoils are awesome!, I had my pred into the dealership for a valve adjustment and they stripped two valve cover bolts.

motoboy66
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
For the header bolt it a helicoil will work, but I have never seen one work very long for a cylinder head stud. Do not helicoil it. If it has not been done then you can still have oversized studs put in. If it is helicoiled it will fail and there is little else that can be done, maybe a timesert, big money. If you have access to metal lathe, there is another fix. I have done 4 400s so far and it is holding up great. I basicaly take the studs out, drill and tap for a 9/16-12 bolt. These are centerdriled and tapped. put the bolts in cut off and grind smooth with cylinder top. now you can use 3/16-24 bolts through the head into 9/16 bolts in the cylinder. Its a little work, and you need a way to perfectly center dril the bots, metal lathe works best. It is a fairly inexpensive way to fix a cylinder that has been helicoiled and then stripped out.

I have this mod on my old race quad 11.1 piston and it has held up for over a year with no head gasket leaks. Granted I am not racing it anymore, but i still ride the piss out of it and use it to practice.