PDA

View Full Version : Could the cold drain a battery enough to not turn over?

SET THE STAGE
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
my bike sat all winter in a sheet metal thin shed. could the cold have drained my battery enough that it won't even turn over? i would have thought you would hear something going on but there's nothin'.

jrafter
05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
if you had pulled your battery and put it in a warm dry place it might still have a charge.

get a charge..... battery jrs are real good

81 clark racing
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
yup 4 sure

Pappy
05-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Under average temperatures, a battery will loose 1% of charge per day. In some cases, even more. When installed in a vehicle that has off key drains, it can loose as much as 7% daily.

The battery doesnt even have to drain completely before it will start to sulfate. At 75% discharge, sulfation will accelerate and increase from that point. After a period of time in a discharged state, sulfation will, in many cases, cause the plates to join in a section and cause a cell to go bad (internal short)

The small AGM batteries used in atv's are supposed to have chemicals in the acid (Yes, I know they are gell) that is supposed to help slow sulfation, but from my expierence, the batteries can only withstand a very short time in a discharged state before they fail.

SET THE STAGE
05-29-2009, 08:02 PM
word, thanks for that.

i just took it to my uncle's house to use his charger because it shows how much charge is left, etc. it went from no charge to fully charged in about 10 seconds lol

looks like i'm just going to have to get a brand new battery again bah

jrafter
05-29-2009, 08:13 PM
get another good gel cell......dont go cheap.

SET THE STAGE
05-30-2009, 12:28 AM
for things like this, i always just get oem

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
well, i'm an idiot and the reason it wouldn't turn over is because of a bad fuse LOL

i'm sure the battery is still junk though.

thanks, guys.