PDA

View Full Version : 300ex stater solinoid

ezdaar
05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone have a shure fire way of fixing it?
Mine gets pissed at me and does not like to click over.

I even replaced it with a solinoid off a full size street bike. thats full metal and rebuildable. But even it complains..

If I hold the button and smack the solinoid Both will work. But at night coverd in ALOT of mud. Its almost impossible to do without removing plastics.
That sucks!

I have thought about installing a Relay to give the starter solinoid(relay) full battery power, instead of the weak current through the factory start button.. As automotive relays require ALOT less current to operate.

What do you guys think about this?

Tommy Warren
05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
you may want to check your starter brushes before you go to far with the solenoid. hold the starter button and if it clicks just tap your starter with a wrench or hammer and if it turns over than its your brushes not your solenoid. I've changed mine 3 times already and I'm still on the stock solenoid. good luck!!

ezdaar
05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Well bro, thanks for the reply. Guess I should have been more clear.
My starter works flawlessly (now that I say that the ****** will burn up), Its my solinoid thats the problem. Or the lack of current to it through the starter button.

It will not click 70% of the time and when it doesnt I can tap it and it will click over like normal.

After typing this out and really putting thought to it. Think I will try the relay on it, just to see if the added current will trip the solinoid properly.

This 300 see's almost 5 foot deep water on a regular basis. So water seeps in everything! Even as hard as I try to silicone and Dieletric greese everything. It still gets in.

Hmm... Maybe relocate it up by the bars... hmmm... So it will be in alot less water. hmm...