PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, out riding and need some Help!!

RaginRedneck
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I know this is the 400EX forum, but I need a little help. Everyone on here has always been cool and helped me with my EX and now I'm out at the dunes and we are having an issue with my buddies son's quad. I posted in the Mini ATV forum, but I know that there are more guys that view this forum. I'm hoping that someone can help me out.
Below is what I posted in the Mini ATV Forum.

Thanks guys!!!

Hi all,
Does anyone know where the rev limiter is on an 07 Suzuki LT50? And if so, how I can remove it??

I'm currently riding in the dunes and my friends son's bike is lacking some power for the dune riding. Looking to open it up a little so the little guy can make it over some more hills.

Thanks,
-RR-

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Not related to the rev limiter, but, I just found this that might help.
--
Title: "Be careful with that LT50 restrictor"
I removed the exhaust restrictor & the thing is still very slugish. So against the the advise of many I pulled the intake off to remove the restrictor there. Well that intake is small. You can't just pry the plate out so I drilled it out with a 1/2" drill bit. Let me tell you this thing screams now. It's way too fast. I'm making new restrictor plates to put back. I'm making them like the exhaust plate. I think I should have stopped with a 1/4" bit. If you open yours up be careful. The new 50's with suspension can probably handle the speed better but the hard frame 50's can't.

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Bad news...

From this link:
http://www.ctracing.com/new_page_3.htm

Says:

What we found the LT Z50 has a very low rev limit, (5000) that keeps the speed down and the only way to get around it is a new CDI Box.

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Another interesting post. Still not a solution for you out on the dunes today.

--
My son has a 2006 LT-Z 50 that he trail rides with me on my 400. It's a neat little bike but one of the drawbacks it has is that it REALLY lacks power. Even for a little kid's bike. The bike comes stock with a throttle limiter and clutch limiter, and after junior got better with it I took the clutch limiter out. Now the throttle limiter is backed way off, but the bike still has trouble with hilly areas or ruts. The biggest problem is the built in rev limiter. It never lets the engine spin long enough to build any speed or power. I called up my friend who is a mechanic at the dealer I bought the bikes at and asked if there was anything we could do to get a little more out of the mini. He scratched his head and said he hadn't really seen any performance parts for these, but he'd see what he could come up with. He called me up the next day and said he wanted to try something out. It seems that the CDI box off of one of the new Z-90 bikes is an exact fit for the 50 in every way. The wiring harness requires no mods and the box will physically fit perfect. He checked the wiring diagrams and the box is exactly the same except it has a rev limiter that is so high that this bike's clutch will never reach it. It took about 32 seconds to replace the box and then we tried it out.

The results are good. The bike isn't any faster, but because of the increased rev, you can gain a lot more speed before the hills where the old rev limiter would cut in. I had to reset the throttle screw because junior wasn't sure where to stop mhihi.gif . Heck, I even rode it and saw the difference.

So if you have one of the new 50's and are looking to increase performace, look at getting the 90 box. So far, so good.

Thanks for the help, Aaron. One of the best mechanics I know.

RaginRedneck
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
smelly, you are awesom, thanks for the info.

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Do this if you can:

"We have an old lt50 and we took out this little air restrictor that was inside of the airboot and it gave it almost a 50% power diference."

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
There might be a adjustment at the thumb throttle control to allow him to push the throttle in further. You probably already have this maxed out already though.

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Do you have the owners manual handy? Looks like there is a washer you can remove from the clutch assembly to improve performance.

"You can gain some speed by pulling a washer out of the front clutch, this allows the belt to shift out farther gaining speed. You can find instructions for doing this in your owners manual (please don't call us for instruction)."

smelly$cat
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
And one more thought, make sure you air the tires WAY down. Make them super squishy to maximize traction.

smelly$cat
06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
So, how was your trip? Did any of the mods for the 50 work?