PDA

View Full Version : need some breaking the bead tips please.

rigger
05-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Changing tires and wondering if you guys have any cool tips for breaking the bead on the tires.

I have gotten the tires off of the rims for my R project. The rear were not to bad but the front I had to cut off. Now I have one more set of rims to do for my wifes 400EX.

I even tried taking them to a tire store and they tried but said the rims were to small to fit the machine and they would have to be cout off anyway.

I have one of those tire braking tools from Harbor Freight and it really does work well on most things but these Honda rims and tires are a pain in the *****.

So if anybody has any tips on getting them off with out having to say every bad word in the book and then some, that would be great.

And here I used to think that dirt bike tires were bad :D

destey
05-29-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm also interested in how people are doing this

cdrookie
05-29-2009, 08:36 AM
a bumper jack and the front of a heavy older car/truck

Tommy Warren
05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I use a tractor loader. I find it easier if you place the rim face down and take the tire off of the back of the rim.

Creech52
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I have heard of people driving over the tires with your car/truck. Never seen it in action and if you miss the bead and run over the rim your probably gonna mess it up.

Take them to a tire shop that has a machine with the bead breaker on the side. It works, I have done it on banshee wheels a few times, you just need to line everything up and hold the wheel off the ground a bit.

alltorquedup
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
rigger, you said you have trouble breaking the bead with your Harbor Freight bead breaker. Is the sidewall of the tire folding over before the bead breaks? I use an auto tire changer and I put just a little air in the tire and it breaks the bead real easy. Then put a little air back in, not to seat the bead already broken, and pop the other bead. I have fought for half an hour with a tire before, then I thought of using some air to stiffen the tire. It popped right away then. I don't know if it will work with your tool, but it might be a tip to tell the shop you went to so they can pop the beads for you. After the bead is popped, our tire machine clamps 9" wheels and bigger good, I can do 8", but they can be tricky sometimes. When taking the tire off, look to see which side of the wheel is closest to the drop center and take the tire off that side. Anybody in the area, PM me, I can help ya out and change tires for ya.

Jonny B
05-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Try laying a board on the bead of the tire and drive up the board with a car like a ramp.

Jonny

rigger
05-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I like the idea of putting just a tuch of air in the tire. That is the biggest problem is the bead breaker falling off of the bead because the tire is falling over and it pops off of the bead.

I will give that a try tonight and see how it goes.

Can't see how I did not come up with that one myself.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

rigger
05-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Well I tried that on one tire and it worked great !!!

Got the first bead off in about 5 seconds and the other bead took about 2 minutes because I could not keep the air preasure in it like I wanted but it still worked.

Now I have three more to go.

I will let you know how they go as well.

regg187
05-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I have used the driving on the tire tech before and it works for car tires fine, but the side wall folds befor you can get any weight on the bead. maybe with a little air in it , it will hold up enough to get some weight on the bead and then pop off. not sure cuz I have always tried with the valve core out.

fun way to bead it up easy... spray ether (quick start) into tire that is on rim but not beaded. (take out valve core) toss in match vwoomp! beaded back up just put in valve core and correct psi. have done this a few times at the dunes when needed. we have even done paddles on buggy rim before.

alltorquedup
05-30-2009, 05:42 AM
I tried the ether thing about 6 months ago with a can of starting fluid from the local NAPA. That junk they sell would not explode, it just had a slow burn. I don't know if they diluted it to protect us from ourselves or what.

woodsracer144
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
rigger post a pic of the set up you have... if im understanding right you want to take the tires off the rims?

thedeatons
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I got tired just watching my friends do it with random methods, so my method of choice became take it to the local Honda dealership, and come back in an hour. $7 to remove one tire and install the next one.

86 Quad R
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
I got tired just watching my friends do it with random methods, so my method of choice became take it to the local Honda dealership, and come back in an hour. $7 to remove one tire and install the next one.

thats purdy much what i do. the guy only charges me 2 bux per bead to break and i carry them home and do the rest.

knobbyboy
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Jonny B
Try laying a board on the bead of the tire and drive up the board with a car like a ramp.

Jonny

I have done this many times. I use my pickup with the front wheel turned out so I can see right where the tire is on the ramp. Its a pain but its low budget.

If I am going to trash the tires anyway I just cut them off with a razor blade, right down to the steel belts. I cut the steel belts with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel turned at such and angle that it does not get into the rim. You have to be careful not to hit the rim, go slow and let it come to you. It'll pop right off. This sounds tough but its faster/easier than the board.

I know, both of these are total redneck!

rustyATV
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/hoppy/104-0464_IMG.jpg