View Full Version : oil check problem

08ex4
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
hey guys i need some help. I changed my oil the other day and rode the day after. When i got home i started the quad and let it idle for 5 minutes just like honda says but when i checked the dipstick it was dry so i took all the lines off and blew through them no debris in the lines. The filter is in right and there arent any leaks so im wandering if the oil pump is bad or what. the bike is an 08. is this a big issue or am i doing something wrong. any help is appriciated thanks

uchi
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
how much oil did you put in? is it smoking? is it visibly leaking anywhere?

i know with the earlier 400s you had to warm up the engine for a few minutes, undo both drain plugs and remove the oil filter to get all the oil out. and then fill it up with i believe 1.85 liters. 1.8 without a filter change. and then you need it warm to check it but you cant rev it while warming up.

racer 557
05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
i was told by honda to let it idle for like 2 mins and he said do not rev it

uchi
05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah whatever you do don't go by the readfing you get when the motors off and hasn't been run. Turns out that it takes almost 3 liters to get to the full mark. Lol.

08ex4
05-28-2009, 10:44 PM
i put what i would call 1.94 quarts like my manuel says it doesnt smoke or leak. today i checked it again and got the same results so it took the lines off one at a time and ran the motor for a second or 2 and the oil was pumping through all the lines so its not the pump or clogged line(at first i thought the oil was staying in the motor) maybe its just not full enough????

08ex4
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
some of you guys are saying 1.8 liters but my book says 1.94 quarts and i know that 1quart is considerably less than 1 liter wonder what the deal is with that???

kilgoja
05-29-2009, 01:29 AM
mine takes about 2.2 qts to get to the fill line when i change the oil and the oil filter...make sure when u change the oil that you drain the oil from both the resevoir and the crankcase...two bolts...let it idle on a level surface for 5 min then check ...don't screw the dipstick in when you check it

droppedmazda
05-29-2009, 04:15 AM
both of my bikes take about 2.5 liters to fill up and they have stock oil systems. i dont understand how some of you only put 1.8 liters in and are full.

uchi
05-29-2009, 04:52 AM
1.85 liters is about 1.95 quarts.

If the bike isn't warmed up enough it'll take a lot of oil. Mine took almost 3 liters to fill and then after a ride it was pissing out the dipstick tube. You gotta make sure its warm when you check it. Yours is an 08. Its likely under warranty. Bring it in if your worried. Hell pay for an oil chang and ask to watch how hey do it.

08ex4
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
i might take it to the dealer i really didnt want to but i guess im gonna have to thanks for all the help

RIDEREDson
05-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Did you do a filter change also? If so then you didn't add enough oil and its not showing up on the dipstick. Either that or your checking it at the wrong time while most of the oil is in the engine.