PDA

View Full Version : a few questions from a new rider

bowhuntinrider
05-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and had a few questions. I have a 2007 400ex and I was wondering if theirs any "free" mods I can do? Like just tweaking it somewhere or anything like that? I have a slip on white bros. and its re-jetted and I have a k and n on it I liked the idea of cutting a wire so that I could start it in reverse and everything so any help would be appreciated thanks

kilgoja
05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
yeah i did the reverse start mod....you take off the hood and pull the little cdi box out or whatever it's called...and cut the gray wire with a black stripe coming out of the box if i remember correctly...there are threads about it on here somewhere...just cut the wire then put black tape around it....you can always reconnect it later down the road ...if for some reason you wanted to...i dunno why...lol...but doing it this way the reverse light will still work

ok i found it...lol

Only works on 2005-2007 models

Here's how:

Start with taking the hood off. Locate your CDI box, its a black box with 2 connectors plugged into it. One connector has 4 wires and the other connector has 2 wires. On the 4 wire connector you will have a Grey with Black stripe wire. Peel the tape back if needed and snip the Grey with Black stripe wire. Leave enough wire just in case you want to splice it back together at some point. Tape the ends of the wires so they won't touch each other. Now put the quad in reverse and fire it up. The reverse rev limiter is disabled, your reverse light will still work and, you will be able to RESTART it in reverse. Yes!!!

buster024
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Stickers make it faster for sure!:devil:

kilgoja
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
yeah i think i have like 5 stickers on mine....i think it made my quad almost equal to the power of a 450...lol

bowhuntinrider
05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Ok stickers and the reverse mod gotcha! Ha I have another question regarding the jets on an 07 400ex I hear people talking about the 2nd or 3rd clip referring to the jets I have never seen this clip adjustment or maybe I didn't know what it was can someone explain maybe with pics if possible?

matt14c
05-28-2009, 02:46 PM
You can remove the choke. Also if you search for this you will find a couple others I believe and how to do them. Grind the weld on the head pipe, remove or put holes in air box lid, there is something you can do to the spark plug boot if not mistaken. Like I said go to the bottom of the 400ex main page and search free mods should find everything you need there!

bowhuntinrider
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Alright I will do that, thank you for the help

buster024
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
The clip that we are referring to is found on the needle. The needle drops into the main jet, and the higher you have the clip positioned on the needle, the deeper it will drop into your main jet (restricting fuel). The lower positioning clip placement will allow more fuel to pass through the jet. The needle clip is an important adjustment that will allow you to fine tune in between jet sizes.

Other than stickers, you can remove the airbox lid, remove the snorkel (that one is probably up for debate), and clipping the reverse limit wire (not really an upgrade, just handy), there aren't many freebie upgrades.
As far as cheap upgrades, the Sparks timing key is like $15 (plus about $15 in new gaskets you'll probably need), and is a monster upgrade. After that, start saving your dough for new suspension, nerf bars, better tires, and better exhaust.

Unfortunately, Honda doesn't make a plug in cherry bomb like 'zuki (well Yoshi) does. Everyone here wishes they did (7 hp for like $35)

BEAVER.989
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM
The '05 on up 400EX's don't have an adjustable needle. To adjust the needle you could use a small waher under the retaining clip. That's what I paln to do.