PDA

View Full Version : 06 yfz 450 seized

mdirtbike
05-28-2009, 09:36 AM
i just got an 06 yfz 450 used from a dealer about 6 months ago, no problems at all besides an old battery that i replaced. I was riding my quad 2 weeks ago, just cruisin around in the hills when it seized. wouldnt turn over for anything. tried push starting it with another quad. no luck. so i brought it home and tore apart the top end. i found the lower rod bearings seized. i was not happy when i found this out. any advice on changing the rod bearings?? i think ill have a shop do it then ill put the top end back together. im not confident in splitting the case. any advice would be great

Ride1Rob
05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
You may as well put a new crank in it. It's only about 40-50 dollar difference once you pay for the rod and have someone to remove the old one and press the new one in. Shoot me a PM if you want to save some money on your rebuild.

heartattack01
06-07-2009, 12:50 PM
When I rebuilt my 06 my lower end was fine but I went through Hot Rods and got a new crank anyway. I spent $230 on a complete crank and rod and it's actually heavy duty and trued and balanced on top of it. I put that and a 13.5:1 JE piston in....HOLY CRAP!!! you thought a YFZ revved out quick? Put that crank in, you won't be sorry. I put those two in and I have a Big Gun pipe, that's it! And I spanked a KTM 450SX at my last race. It makes the motor so much smoother and it will actually bump up your redline too but it also makes your motor MORE reliable than it was stock. If you can afford that and for someone to put it in for you do it! You'll love it!

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
The 04-06 models had an oil injection problem or something that causes this. I am not sure exactly what it is, but someone on here should. I believe they had the problem fixed in 07. You should probably look at the upgrade to prevent this from happening again.

heartattack01
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
The problem is that 04-06 YFZ's don't oil the wrist pin very well. They did fix it in 07 and you can have the mod done pretty cheap to the 04-06's if you want. I had god knows how many hours on my 06 stock rotating assembly and when I swapped it out it was fine, even though I don't have the oiler mod. I think as long as you change your oil regularly and make sure it's good quality you shouldn't have a problem.