PDA

View Full Version : need advice xc -mx

jpfmotors
05-28-2009, 07:04 AM
hey everyone i am seeing if anyone one can give me some tips about mx racing i normally race xc and never been on an mx track until this weekend. i am going trie it out at southwick mx track. i stiffind up my stock rebuilds and widened my rear axle. and regeared my quad back to stock 14-38 i am going to play aroud with the jetting to night. my front is only 46.5 inch wide but that will have to do. how mutch wider should my back be from the front. i know the track is very sandy. well any advice would be awsome. oh skid plates can i take them off or keep them on?

Butter
05-28-2009, 07:32 AM
MX race bikes are usually in the 48-49 range. The limit is 50" front or rear, but having just an inch narrower creates better steering, and really seems to be the way to go. I wouldn't recomend running a much wider rear end than front. If its an inch or so, ok, but anymore and when your looking for the good line, your front will be there but your rear might hit an unexpected kicker or too, because of it being out farther. Run as close to the width, even if it isn't very wide as possible. I run a frame skid on my bike. Makes oil changes hell, but at least it takes the hit when you bottom out, instead of your frame. I would def take the swing arm skid off though. They'll make the bike seem like its bottoming out at all times. If your shocks are for XC I would imagine you run a pretty good amount of rebound, but soft on compression? Not sure but if thats the case, I would stiffen the compression (believe you did that) and soften the rebound. But Southwick is sandy, and gets pretty rough, so your XC setup might be spot on. At least thats how it used to be. If you have a set of smaller MX tires, (18s for the rear, 20s for thefront) it would be night and day different as well. At least with the smaller tires, the narrow bike won't want to high side quite as much And will plant better in corners. Just get to know the track, watch other riders, and get used to it all. I'll put money down if you get the hang of it, you'll be back on here buying a MX suspension setup. Have fun, and be safe.

jpfmotors
05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
ya i already stiffened up the comp just a little good note on the skid plate. i only have 20s rear and 22s front razor2s so thats what i will be running i know they are a little big but thats what i got. i do have stock stuff but i was told that they wont do anything in the sand.