PDA

View Full Version : car help?

fasterblaster09
05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
well yesterday the power steering belt on my g.f's 98 mitsubishi galant broke, so today I put her a new one on. when it popped, the battery light came on, and when I put on the new one it went off. but the power steering belt and the alternator belt don't even turn when the car is running now! I have no idea what the hecks going on. I didn't mess with anyting else. so the light went away but still no power steering, any idea? thanks neil

hondariderdylan
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
do the pump and alternator run off the crank?
is the entire accesory drive system turning?
are the pump and alternator on the same belt?

pardon me if i seem like a dumbass, i know nothing about import cars

Tommy Warren
05-28-2009, 11:15 AM
double check and make sure you have the belt on the right way. you might be turning something backwards that doesn't want to be turned backwards.

scuzz
05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Take your belts off and make sure your accessories turn without a belt on...this could be why you lost your belt in the 1st place.

fastredrider44
05-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Take your belts off and make sure your accessories turn without a belt on...this could be why you lost your belt in the 1st place.

If a bearing has gone down and is locked up, it would have this effect.:p

fasterblaster09
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
well thanks for the replies, but I got it fixed, and boy do I feel like a DUMBASS. I bought a power steering belt, and I didnt even notice it wasnt the power steering belt that was broken, it was the main belt (alternator). So I had a 2nd power steering belt, and only had it on two pulleys and didn't even notice the main pully didnt have a belt on it :o . It's kinda hard to explain what I did, but long story short I got a bigger belt and now all 3 pulleys are connected and it works fine :p :p

hondariderdylan
05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
it happens to the best of us:D