PDA

View Full Version : Laeger no-link frame info

88redrocket
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Ive been kickin around the idea of a aftermarket frame for a while now and i found a laeger narrow front no link frame for sale locally. The guy thats selling it told me i can use either a no-link setup on it or i can use my stock linkage. so before i go look at it i had a few questions

1. Is the shock mount higher up on a laegers no link frame? If so than could i use the stock swingarm and just get a longer shock? or is there 2 upper mounting locations?

2. Will the stock swingarm even bolt up to this frame?

3. If i get a no-link swingarm , what length shock will i need?

4. will a lonestar no-link swingarm fit on a laegers frame?

250Renvy
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Be very wary of this. If this is the blue one from the guy in MA then you would be unwise to purchase it unless you can figure out for sure what it is.

Laeger No-link frames were basically CR500 link frames that used a special swingarm. I'm not sure if they had a lower linkage mount plate or not. If it does not then you will not be able to find a swingarm and will have to send it back to Laeger or fabricate the linkage component to run the CR500 link swingarm/rear setup as you will not likely find a swingarm for it used in either no-link or cr500 link. They are usually a combo with a frame.

You will probably have to get a custom made swingarm for it or find someone with an extra for sale.

You would not be able to run a stock swingarm although it would bolt up. It's unlikely a Lonestar no-link would work either because these setups are so specific to each maker.

These are some pictures I have of the frame and the swingarm which it ran and was sold separately

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/Laeger/7d55_1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/Laeger/863f_1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/Laeger/cb5a_1.jpg

250Renvy
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Another possibility is that it is not this one and/or it's a Lonestar - often people don't know what they actually have and just go by what someone told them.

Laeger's did make a few no-link setups to run on their stock link frames but the mount was not higher on the frame, it was just lower on the swingarm.

jesse olea
05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
250renvey is right be careful with this buy as you can tell by the pics he posted the shock mount on the swinger is set more to the right same goes for the top shock mount at the frame and that is why you can't use any swinger good luck i hope it works out for you just be careful

88redrocket
05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys for the pics and bringing this to my attention. Yes that is the one i was considering. The guy thats selling it lives 10 mins away from me. So should i not even bother looking at it? Im pretty sure its a laegers cuz he said its a narrow front and i thought laegers was the only company to make the narrow front but i could be wrong...is there a chance it could be a narrow front with a stock rear shock mounting location? did they even make that? I defenitly dont want to spend a good chunk of change on something that im gonna have to screw around with and have a swingarm custom made for. I was watching it when it was on ebay and never sold i wondered why maybe this is why.

250Renvy
05-28-2009, 07:16 AM
If he's that close, you might as well go look at it.

The thing to pay attention to is whether it has a lower linkage mount. If not then it was meant to run a no-link swingarm in which case, good luck finding one as only a few were made. You could always send it back to laeger to get the linkage mount put on for the CR500, but then it's still a matter of finding a swingarm.

Last I saw, he wanted $900 for it, but without a swingarm the frame is almost worthless.

86 Quad R
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
fwiiw! if the price is good and the frame is in great shape i'd buy it. you can always have a swinger made for it.

88redrocket
05-28-2009, 07:31 AM
yeah he told me $900. i was hoping to talk him down a little but like you said without the swingarm its almost worthless. can you tell me exactly what you mean by the lower linkage mount? i get kinda confused with all this no link cr500 link stuff. i just wanna know exactly what i need to look at.

86 Quad R
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM
means that the shock mounts directly to the swinger, eliminating the pivot linkage.

88redrocket
05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
so how can i tell if it has a lower linkage mount by looking at the frame? where do i look?

86 Quad R
05-28-2009, 08:28 AM
it'll have linkage mounting tabs at the rear of the frame, just under where the swinger mounts.

250Renvy
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
It'll have tabs like on your stock frame at the bottom where the linkage mounts. Some no-link frames don't have them at all.

The CR500 linkage mount is a different shape and spacing but essentially the same as stock.

88redrocket
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I did some searching on here and found this pic of laeger n ky's r. His rear setup looks alot like the one thats on the frame im interested in. Take a look at the pics what do you guys think? If it is the same could i just find out what swingarm hes using and try to get the same one?

http://i44.tinypic.com/142bexy.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2m5jvo5.jpg

Master LTR450
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
what happened to the swingarm that was on the bike??

250Renvy
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
He's running basically the same setup. I talked to Mark about that setup and he said they only made a handful of those around 96ish then switched over to the CR500 link.

So you could ask him and he'd tell you what it is but the chances of you finding a swingarm that is not in use would be incredibly difficult.

I don't necessarily want to discourage you, but the chances of you finding a no-link swingarm for it would be near impossible plus there are no jigs around for it. If it has the linkage mounts you'd have a better chance of finding the CR500 swingarm - there are some floating around. Laeger doesn't have jigs for it that's why I got a new frame with a stock linkage setup.

If you absolutely can't find a CR500 swingarm then Walsh or HRE could build one for you.

86 Quad R
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
If you absolutely can't find a CR500 swingarm then Walsh or HRE could build one for you.

how much would something like that run to have built?

Jonny B
05-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I had a rare laeger cr500 engine quad once...it had a custom no-link swingarm on it made by JRD Racing. My frame had a cr500 rear link and upper shock mounts...the cr500 upper shock mount is a different width then a stock r shock upper mount. Elka made a custom shock for the quads no-link swinger and the cr500 upper mount. The shock wasn't priced too much higher then normal to have made this way. It still has the mount for the link if you ever wanted to change back to a cr500 link set-up. Any way to get the frame/swinger combo from the guy???

Jonny B

88redrocket
05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
As far as i know the swingarm was sold seperatly on ebay. I guess ill go look at it or have him send me some pics and if it doesnt have the lower link mount then ill look for another frame somewhere else.