PDA

View Full Version : jetting issue??

Kach
05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
i have an 06 with the baffle removed, a k&n filter, and a protech lid. its jetted with a 165 main 45 pilot 2.5 turns out on the screw and the stock needle. it runs good except after slowing down or riding slowly through tight trails. when i pull the clutch in i have to keep blipping the throttle or it will die. do i need a bigger main? bigger pilot? both? or is it something totally different? any help would be great

Kach
05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
no one??

Kach
06-03-2009, 11:23 PM
really? 60 views and not one person will help me? wow i really thought i would get help here. sorry if its a stupid question but i dont know what to do.

michealwall
06-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Check your spark plug color. Run the bike at idle then shut it off and check it (Pilot jet), hold the throttle to mid throttle for about 10 secs and shut it off instantly and check it (Needle position), then hold it WOT (preferably while riding it) and shut it off and cost to a stop (Main jet). Your plug reading should be a nice tan/brown looking color for the best performance on each check. It is time consuming but the best way to make sure your bike is dialed in CORRECTLY all throughout the powerband. Adjust your jets according to what your plug is telling you

yfzrider690
06-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Checking the plug isn't really a good way to check on a 4 stroke. I would bump your pilot up to a 48 or maybe even a 50. Have you tried to turn the idle up. Usually when you have to go 2 1/2 turns or more on your a/f screw you need to go up a size on your pilot.

Kach
06-04-2009, 07:59 PM
hey thanks. ill up the pilot and see what happens. the idle is good now..i turned it up before and it was backfiring so i turned it back. it seems to idle fine..after i go up a size on the pilot will i have to turn the a/f screw in?

yfzrider690
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
When was it backfiring? After you let off the gas? If it is then you might be lean on your needle to. What needle are you using. I have the ncvq which is the most common one that people use. I have mine on the 4th clip down from the top and it runs good. It backfired when it was on the 3rd clip that's why I adjusted it.

IdahoMX
06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
You also need to list elevation. 168-170 NCVQ in the middle position at 2500ft

Ride1Rob
06-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
Checking the plug isn't really a good way to check on a 4 stroke.

YES IT IS!!! It's the two strokes with the oil in the gas that can give off readings. Reading the plug can tell you ALOT about how your bike is running as well as the condition of your topend (rings & piston).

What MichealWall was telling you in his post is spot on! You have 3 jets for three different ranges in the motor and they overlap each other.

Directly from NGK! Read for more info...
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

michealwall
06-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Bro, I was going to ask how to jet then.
Dyno and plug, thats what I know. I don't know where to dyno and can't afford it. So a couple of plugs and a plug chop, thats it.