PDA

View Full Version : FCR 40mm Carb from CRF450R Questions...

TORO1968
01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,

I was checking out GT Thunder's website and it talks about using an FCR 40mm carb on a Z400, and I was wondering if anyone has tried this on a 400ex... I believe the carb comes stock on a CRF450R, and from what info is listed on the GT Thunder website, the 40mm carb is supposed to be an improved version of the older 39 and 41mm FCR's. Would this be a good choice for a 400ex? The question is, how well would it fit in place of the stock carb and would this carb work with a thumb throttle? If so, what cable would be needed? Could a cable made to fit the 39 and 41mm carbs fit?

I thought I'd check pricing on this carb from Service Honda, and I was suprised to find out that it only costs $354.10 from them. Sounds like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

If anyone has more info on this subject, let me know...

**Also, is there a way to change the settings on the search function of the forum so that I can search for words like "FCR" that are less than four characters long???

-Later

Jordan

nakomis0
01-04-2003, 08:44 AM
I don't know nuttin about that carb, but .. I would say if there is a problem it would probably be with the size of the boots where the carb connects.

You can always find a cable, iven if its 3' too long.:D

When you use the search type.. "FCR*"

* is a like a wildcard letter for searching.

brim400ex
08-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Has anyone on here used the crf carb?

chad502ex
08-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by TORO1968
Hey guys,

I was checking out GT Thunder's website and it talks about using an FCR 40mm carb on a Z400, and I was wondering if anyone has tried this on a 400ex... I believe the carb comes stock on a CRF450R, and from what info is listed on the GT Thunder website, the 40mm carb is supposed to be an improved version of the older 39 and 41mm FCR's. Would this be a good choice for a 400ex? The question is, how well would it fit in place of the stock carb and would this carb work with a thumb throttle? If so, what cable would be needed? Could a cable made to fit the 39 and 41mm carbs fit?

I thought I'd check pricing on this carb from Service Honda, and I was suprised to find out that it only costs $354.10 from them. Sounds like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

If anyone has more info on this subject, let me know...

**Also, is there a way to change the settings on the search function of the forum so that I can search for words like "FCR" that are less than four characters long???

-Later

Jordan

TORO, call mike at FDO for details,... his tele# is all over this site. As far as the carb fitting the intake boot- my 40mm Lectron fits in the stock intake boot no problem, but the braided +6" throttle cable I had made from Terrycable for ~$40. The CRF carb does work on the 400ex and it is an excellent carb for big bores with top end work.

Hope this helps,... :)

Chad502EX.com

Sick0
08-11-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm using the 40mm cfr carb. THe carb makes a lot of power. I first had it on the with a 416 and I think its a little too big for it. It would bog down a little in the lowend. Then I got the 440 kits and I think motor run good, with a a good strong power band. If you don't have a lot of mods to the motor I woulded run the carb seeing how it would be to big. Plus the bigger carb will allow to jet. I went from a 170(stock carb) jets all the way up to a 205 jet. I had a lot of trouble getting the carb to fit thought. I'm using a custom air boot between the carb and the old boot(kinda of a extention). The in intake manifold has to bored out to except the larger carb. The gas tank kinda sits on top of the carb. You can't get at the choke so its kinda of useless . Plus the choke will rubs on the gas line. The choke lever sits right were the gas line comes out of the gas tank. I used the cable that came one the carb(twist) and made it work with my thumb throttle. I'm not going to even tell you how I made it work. Its kinda rigged and I wouldn't recommend how I made it work. I think I still don't have came completely tuned. but makes a huge diffrence with out making a big diffrence in lowend. It does eat alot more gas now. I have pics of the conversion that I need to get devopled.