PDA

View Full Version : few questions on 400ex mods

2001400exer
05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
im used to dealing with 660 raptors as thats what i race for flat track my girlfriend has a 400ex and is what i ride when im with my friends out on trails, now i have a few carbs for a 450r that im trying to sell one is an edelbrock 40mm that has been bored to a 41mm the other is the stock 42mm off the 04 450 i was considering puting the 42mm on the 400ex as a stock style carb for a sleeper motor, i have race plastic on it with a 450 hood and put another oil cooler under the hood to make the scoops kinda functional. the motor is internaly stock but just bought a 86mm 11:1 piston also have a rev box and the exhaust is pretty trick i took a white brothers shorty header (i got for free) then a header off a 650 twin yamaha street bike (also free) and a honda 450r muffler (also free) i took the "S" bend out of the yamaha 650 header and put a few cuts on it to angle it right and had it welded to the WB header and it mounts right the the honda 450r muffler which i had to cut the bracket off and reweld to mount to the stock 400ex muffler mount, i also removed the baffle and put a screen from and old spark arrestor to make it leagal for the trails, this system seems to flow better then any other pipe i have seen or raced against, i have ran against many 416's and ran right beside them with the pipe i made, K@N-no lid, rev box and all stock intenals, along with double oil cooler, jetting is 48 pilot with 2.25 turns out, and 170 main needle middle clip, the 416's i have ran against are all 11:1 with a stage 1 cam, one had the HMF full Pipe, another had the sparks X6, and the other one had the Duncan Double Barrel i have also rode all three quads and the HMF is by far the weakest the X6 has good mid range and top end and carries good torque the duncan seems to do the best on top end i beat the hmf 416 but run close to the other two
now i also know that honda put two different size carbs depending on year they have the newer 38mm and i have the 35.5mm so i feel this is why they seem to run better along with added compression and bigger bore but anyways back to my questions
question 1 does anyone have a pic of how they got the 42mm 450 carb to fit the 400ex
question 2 is there a difference between the stock 400ex cam and the stock xr400 cam
question 3 does anyone have a good used cam they are willing to sell for decent price
i had two 39fcrs that i sold to my friends with the 416 both the duncan and the sparks guys so they have the 38mm carb and i may just install there carb instead of trying to set up the 42mm carb so if someone has a cam maybe we can work somthing out with the 42mm carb and cam trade...

rob_990
05-27-2009, 07:34 PM
1.look a the sticky up top
2.ive heard the xr cam performs better but i cant say from experience