PDA

View Full Version : broken chain

sickyellow400ex
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM
the chain on my 08 450r broke for no reason and it broke the case saver off, so i need a new case and chain, but the dealer said honda most likley wont cover it, what do you think or has anyone had that happen?

kawabunga
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't foresee Honda covering that. They'll probably try to say that it was lack of maintenance or mis-adjustment. You're probably gonna have to suck it up and buy a new case yourself. It sucks, I had that happen on one of my other wheelers.

hendershot106
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sickyellow400ex
the chain on my 08 450r broke for no reason and it broke the case saver off, so i need a new case and chain, but the dealer said honda most likley wont cover it, what do you think or has anyone had that happen?

if you have the upper and lower bolt holes left... you can still bolt on a moose racing poly case saver... go that route....

Baldwin motorsports race bikes have no case saver .. just a poly sleeve over the shift shaft to protect it.

if your bolt holes are broken and you cant bolt a case saver on it and cant afford to fix it... just run it the way it is with the chain tightened periodicallly.

its not like its really gonna hurt the case any worse.....damage already done... just make sure you put on a rear lower chain guide.

awj8074
05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I got lucky and noticed this rigt before a ride. It just happend to be on the rear f teh sprocket when i went to pull the quad out.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/70145/cracked%20chain.JPG I have a feeling that ride would have been a bad one. All from teh skid plate being bend up and rubbing the sprocket wearing out the chain.

fastredrider44
05-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Maintenance! Learn it, Apply it! Keep an eye open for anything like that at all times.

quad2xtreme
05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
if you have the upper and lower bolt holes left... you can still bolt on a moose racing poly case saver... go that route....

Baldwin motorsports race bikes have no case saver .. just a poly sleeve over the shift shaft to protect it.

if your bolt holes are broken and you cant bolt a case saver on it and cant afford to fix it... just run it the way it is with the chain tightened periodicallly.

its not like its really gonna hurt the case any worse.....damage already done... just make sure you put on a rear lower chain guide.

Was going to say the same thing as posted here. If necessary, use JB weld to fix the case if you have to and then buy a Moose case saver. Put it over the shift shaft and hopefully you have at least one bolt to hold the upper portion.

sickyellow400ex
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
im all about maintnance, the bike dosnt even have 20 hours on it, the chain looked brand new, ill find out tomorrow if its covered or not