PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Tire Bead

jjd223
05-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Does anyone have a tip or trick to re-set the bead on a leaking rear tire/rim.

thanks

Joe

DAVYS DAD
05-27-2009, 05:44 AM
pull the core out of the valve stem and pump it up if that doesnt work put a rachett strap arround the tire and try it agian. hope this helps

later

tyler70t
05-27-2009, 06:14 AM
We un seat the bead, then spray with starting fluid and light a match, works for us every time.....Jeff

forgiven
05-27-2009, 06:21 AM
That being said you must be VERY careful. Make sure you stay out of the line of fire if the strap lets loose...meaning don't put your hand on the strap while filling...don't be in line with the strap while filling.

If it is the first time you have put one on the bead it can be rather unnerving. It will make a loud POP when you have it unless you use ITP tires then it may or may not...usually not.

The use of chain lube around the tire next to the bead will help if it doesn't seem like the tire is going over the bead very well. Use the lube as a last resort. Additionally if they are used rims you may want to wire wheel the bead area and the area leading up to it so it slides nice and has a nice and smooth beading surface.

If you have the standard air 90 degree air chuck and a way of turning your air on and off with a valve is to remove the angled portion and what is left will fit over the stem itself with the valve stem removed you can put air in MUCH faster and will help get it over the bead but you must be careful doing it that way as the opportunity for a mistake and blowing up a tire increases but for stubborn beads it works nicely.

Last tip...if presented with the "Ether trick"...run away and check out youtube. If you are under 30 it may seem like a good idea. I advise strongly against it.

forgiven
05-27-2009, 06:25 AM
I think I may have mis read it.

If it is leaking and you have already seated it...put a bead of RTV around the beaded area meaning you must take the tire off the beads. If you don't use spoons to change tires or have an imperfect tire for some reason it can leak. A good bead of RTV should fix any problems like that. It cleans up much better than slime which I don't recommend and when you go to change the tire you will be MUCH happier than if you used slime.

jjd223
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Maybe is should be more specific. the tire has been mounted on the rim and been in use for quite a while. we developed a leak where the tire meets the rim, it seems the bead on one side needs to be reseated.

Thanks

joe0718
05-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Go to your local tire center like STS or Goodyear. They can unbead the tire clean out any dirt and they usually have a bead sealer to put on the rim or tire. Their tire machine will blast the air in so quickly there will be no problem reseating it. I go to a shop I use to work at and use the machine.