PDA

View Full Version : rear brake question

uchi
05-26-2009, 07:33 PM
so i changed my rear brake pads today as they were realllllly low. so i retracted the piston all the way and had to slide the caliper on with the hel;p of a rubber mallot. took the atv for a spin and the rear brakes arent working as good as they should. so i figured they needed to be broken in, so i did some riding around the neighbourhood and did what id do with a car, get her up to speed and stop with the rear brakes and start again before coming to a complete stop. on gravel if i hit the brakes hard i can lock up the rear tires. on wet pavement its not happening. no fluid was removed during this process. i checked the service manual and they arent clear on retracting the piston but in their picture it shows them using a screwdriver between the 2 pads. i tried that with no luck and rather used a big c clamp. so is this normal with breaking in atv pads?

puTTs
05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
That sounds about the norm. When you hit the brakes the weight of the bike shifts forward lifting the weight off the rear tires and makes the rear lock pretty easy. If I'm on loose dirt or gravel my rear locks very easy.

quadrider00
05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
you shouldnt need a c clamp to compress the pistons. you probly should blow the pistons out and clean them and replace the seals and if that is still the original fluid that should be changed also

uchi
05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
****ty. looks like ill be doing a mild rebuild sooner than later. tghe brakes dont lock up on pavement and they used to before i did the swap. granted i use the fronts more than anything but the rears are still no where are grippy. is there a writeup on pulling out the pistons and seals on here somewhere?

matt14c
05-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Yea there is a sticky in the how to section.

uchi
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks ill take a look later