PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke troubles,what could it be?

S.A.J
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Here goes,we have a 2005 Ford F-250 FX4 4Door Lariot with the 6.0 Powerstroke engine of course.We bought it from right around 30,000 miles i think and now its got about 110,000.It doesnt get abused at all and does not get raced just the very ocasional faster than usual acceleration.It has a bullydog 140hp programer and cold air intake with k&n and the catalac converter and muffler taken out to make a strait pipe.Now the chip only came on it at about idk right around 70,000 miles and has been on the 140hp setting 99% of the time.

NOW for the problem,ive heard powerstrokes have problems with starting and ours is no exception,mornings ESPESIALLY when its cold you start it and its sounds horrible,sounds like a hot rod with a HUGE cam runing such low rpm its BARELY staying runing thats kinda how it sounds it misses so much.We usualy start it from remote and then let it idle for about 5-10mins before we get in and go to work or watever and about idk 20,000miles ago or so it always seemed to start bad but itd clear up and run good after about 3mins or so and when you drove it it ran good baisicly right away.Here lately though its been geting MUCH worse to wear when you rev it up in nuetrul its like shakes cause its missing(or thats what we think its doing) and even after about 4-8 mayb 10 mins when you start driving you gota take it real easy when accelerating cause if you try and floor it or accelerate pretty much like usual it'll miss and almost shake the whole truck and if you dooo floor it it dnt smoke not near HALF as much as it does when its warmed up and runing good.

Well thats about what it does and its getting worse and worse and more anoying and anoying feels like your driving an OLD broken down ford that down run worth a crap,BUT once its been runing for awhile and warmed up and stuff its fine and pretty much hauls you know what for what it is.

SO anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

IdahoMX
05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Possibly a fuel pump on its way out.

05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
broken down ford

There's your four letter word problem... If it's in a blue circle it's def. your problem.

IdahoMX
05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
What the heck does WIFE have to do with it?

450r ride red
05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
FORD at least they circled the problem.......its the 6.0 they always have problem

416exfreak
05-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Could be your lift pump (fuel pump), Injectors, clogged filters, clogged/piched line..

Worst case is its somthing in the ECU, in which case, take it to a local diesel shop and get the computer reflashed.

Good luck man..

My dad had a TON of problems with his '04 F550 w/ the 6.0L..

chris hallett
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
it is more than likely the injectors,we have 8 powerstrokes at work have had a few do this when we had new glow plugs and injectors put in the problem went away

S.A.J
05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Lol i actually agree with the four letter word problem,its my dad whos a ford guy and im a chevy guy and i told him to get a duramax but nooo he wanted his ford lol.I'm pretty sure if he could do it over again he would'nt have bought a 6.0. So yall think it could be the fuel pump eh?Anybody got ideas on how much they cost and if you can get a better aftermarket one to get more power or efficientcy outa it?

S.A.J
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds like injectors or fuel pump to me...mayb we should take it to a local diesel shop and ask em what it might be...thanks for the help guys,this gives us an idea of what we're possibly looking at...oh one more thing,how long do yall think before it goes completley cuput if it is the injectors or fuel pump?

Gibson-Z
05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
My truck did the same thing and Ford flashed the computer for the cold starting problem. They offer an extended waranty for the 6.0 powerjoke. You should definitly get one!!!!!!

Kickstarts-suck
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow people still use FORD jokes...

www.ford-trucks.com

JForestZ34
05-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by 450r ride red
FORD at least they circled the problem.......its the 6.0 they always have problem

I thought that they changed the 6.0 to get rid of all the problems..???

James

hondaracer31
05-27-2009, 05:15 AM
I just replaced the fuel pump in my 6.0. It ran perfect, just didn't have any fuel pressure.(I added a fuel pressure guage) The pump cost $300 and included the whole HFCM with a new filter.
Mine ran like that a while back, I replaced the ICP sensor and that fixed it. The sensor was $45 from International.(like $180 from Ford:eek2: ) It's a PITA to install too.

protraxrptr17
05-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Yep, could be the ICP. You need to have it scanned and it should have a code for that. It IS a PITA to change. If you do find out that is the problem, get the harness pigtail with it. I just changed one last week. Had to make a special wrench to do it. It was behind the turbo on the '03 I was working on. They may have moved it on the '05???

Could also be injectors or HPOP. It could be many things. I hate to say it, but the 6.0 is a real POS. The 7.3 trucks around here are in high demand because of it.

300extreme#8
05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
You can test the fuel filter and see if its stopped up ur self. Just take it off and blow through it and if its hard to blow through and hardly any gas comes out then it is clogged

j_cyrus3
05-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Get a reflash. Most injector problems were in the 03/04. More than likely not your hpop. Even if it was, it would shut the truck down before causing any damage, if the low pump starves the high pump the truck will shut down.

Take it to the dealer and get it reflashed, and ditch the bully dog unless you want to put a new trans in it.

gcart2
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 450r ride red

my step dads 08 duramax with the 6.6 and allison just got put in the shop for what i believe is the fourth time since purchased new?

why dont we keep this from being a ***** fit and help the man out. all trucks have problems.

S.A.J
05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Well sounds like scanning it would be the best idea,if it was the injectors or fuel pump would that show up on a scan?Also anybody have an idea of what theyre gona charge to scan it?

witech
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
First thing to do is check for codes. Second is check the glow plugs. I would do a cyllinder contribution test with a cold engine and a temp sensor plugged into a resistor to check injectors cold. Doing it warm most likely wont find any bad ones as you stated it run fine after warmed up. There really is no good year for injectors. They usually start to show problems after about 30,000 miles. White/grey smoke intermittantly under load .

100,000 miles on a set of injectors is impressive.

Ghost-Rider
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Ford circled the problem ? Pretty bad when people can't tell a circle from an oval :rolleyes:

hondaracer31
05-28-2009, 05:34 AM
I have an '03 6.0 with an SCT Tuner, and love it. It has 104,000 miles on it and hasn't had any more problems than any other make of truck would have in that many miles.

It bothers me when people say they are "sorry" when they find out it's a 6.0. Why are you sorry? I'm not.

Bottom line.....
They're ALL junk! Ford has their problems but, so do Chevy and Dodge.

Rant over...

scuzz
05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Ford circled the problem ? Pretty bad when people can't tell a circle from an oval :rolleyes:

[crickets]

Way to nit-pick that joke.

witech
05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
The way I always saw it was if you can afford to buy a diesel you can afford to feed it and pay to keep it running.

Just a heads up for those who are looking at the 6.4 powerstroke before Ford dumps it for thier new design. I have heard good things about power/ efficiency . The only major problem I have experienced is some are making oil from fuel in oil dilution. Some as much as a gallon per oil change. Ford and IH have not really locked down how to fix it so far except for frequent oil changes. Some say its from cyllinder washdown from the regen system spraying to much fuel on the exhaust stroke . Then there are the common injector and oring leaks in the fuel/high pressure system.

400exrider707
05-28-2009, 09:43 PM
It seems like there is only a couple people who answered who are even remotely knowledgeable on the 6.0.

When's the last time the EGR valve has been checked/replaced? I'll almost bet this is the problem.

When's the last time the oil has been changed and the last time the fuel filters have been changed?

I'd take the EGR valve off and clean it.

hypersnyper6947
05-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I know my 6.0 was re flashed for cold starting problems a while back, not that i had problems it was just the newest reflash out, when was the last time you took it to the dealer?

400exrider707
05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I know my 6.0 was re flashed for cold starting problems a while back, not that i had problems it was just the newest reflash out, when was the last time you took it to the dealer?

Doesn't explain why his truck would be getting worse and worse, especially since its only getting warmer out...

Meister649
05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It seems like there is only a couple people who answered who are even remotely knowledgeable on the 6.0.

When's the last time the EGR valve has been checked/replaced? I'll almost bet this is the problem.

When's the last time the oil has been changed and the last time the fuel filters have been changed?

I'd take the EGR valve off and clean it.

What he said.. Our 6.0 has 130ish on it now.. 2 egr vavles and a turbo.. The turbo was probably not too messed up, but due to lack of knowledge we put a new one it.. We did some research, and then we had the same issue.. Tore the turbo apart, and theres a certain part in there that just needs greased.. CAT uses the grease on their diesels, and it isnt cheap, but if you know someone at a dealer, they can hook you up.. Anyways, your problem does sound alot like you need to clean the EGR valve.. Try that before you do anything.. If you still have problems, go to Fordtruckworld.com and check out the superduty forums.. Alota people know their stuff over there..

j_cyrus3
05-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Is there any smoke on start up? Have you pulled the egr valve yet? Now that I have thought about this it does sound like the EGR valve. If you don't have to pass emissions, DELETE the egr cooler. I recommend the First Coast Diesel Performance kit.

I am thinking if it were an injector it would have already went out on you.

Just a piece of advice... Don't rape the truck until it is at operating temps, or you will end up having to put head studs and gaskets in it.

S.A.J
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
so where is the egr valve and is it easily taken off and cleaned?also whats the good about deleting or blocking it off,also does it give more power or smoke more since it has to do with emisions?also what would be better,block off or full delete? Lol and one more,do yall not think reflashing it would help any?

KevinAb
06-02-2009, 08:02 PM
so where is the egr valve and is it easily taken off and cleaned?also whats the good about deleting or blocking it off,also does it give more power or smoke more since it has to do with emisions?also what would be better,block off or full delete? Lol and one more,do yall not think reflashing it would help any?

Here's the EGR on my '06, right on top, next to the oil filter. Take the 2 bolts out, pull it carefully, IIRC there's an o-ring seal on it. I cleaned mine up a couple times with some brake cleaner.

You haven't blown the stock head gaskets yet with a 140hp chip? I had a superchip, returned it to stock when towing, blew the head gaskets and warped the heads at 50k miles. I keep it stock now, but man it was fun with the extra kick.

S.A.J
06-02-2009, 08:11 PM
which,the little thing with the fins? And yup no chip related problems yet not tht we know of atleast,plus we dont use the extra kick alot mainly just for more passing pep its handy on 2 lane roads lol and one freeways.

KevinAb
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Yea dude, right in the middle of the pic, with the plug sticking out the top. Mine was kinda stuck the first time, had to tap around it to get it loose. Just don't rip the o-ring pulling it out if you want to use it again.

You tow much with it? Return to stock setting if you do?

j_cyrus3
06-02-2009, 10:14 PM

The delete kit will give you a tad bit better throttle response. It won't make it smoke more. If your cooler bursts then you will have to either replace the cooler or delete it. Try a reflash, it's a lot cheaper than an EGR cooler.

S.A.J
06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Yeah i think we'll just have to go and reflash it when we get the time here soon...oh and to the previous question no theres no smoke on startup,cept for the usual very small puff from having the chip and strait pipe on it.As for towing we dont tow much at all no,but we have before,my dad brought a load of 2 carhaulers(one staked top of the other) to some air force base up north somewhere and it worked fine then and also has brought a couple cargo trailers to somewhere in oklahoma and just the ocasional haul and thats all on the 140hp setting and it runs great so far(when its warmed up of course lol).

S.A.J
06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Well my dad went and got it reflashed n the dealership put the latest updates and stuff on it,cost $85 so we'll wait till the morning and see if it starts and runs better.I'll keep yall posted on wether it helps or not,
thanks yall.

400exrider707
06-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I doubt the flash will fix it.

I run an SCT, since its the only actual PROGRAMMER, not a fooler or tricking equipment, not to mention the ONLY one that tunes the transmission. I run Innovative Diesels extreme tunes. I'm at 47k miles, had one head replaced and head gaskets done already, got my ARP headstuds in now though. Truck runs great. I love the 5R110, on my second one of those too though.:rolleyes:

The 6.0 really gets a bad rap, and its easy to see why, though it doesn't take much to get it right. Get the ARP's in and get the EGR cooler OFF of the truck, whole different truck then.

You can unplug your EGR valve too to shut the function off, it will probably throw a code that the bullydog wont fix. An SCT will fix that up though.

KevinAb
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I doubt the flash will fix it.

I run an SCT, since its the only actual PROGRAMMER, not a fooler or tricking equipment, not to mention the ONLY one that tunes the transmission. I run Innovative Diesels extreme tunes. I'm at 47k miles, had one head replaced and head gaskets done already, got my ARP headstuds in now though. Truck runs great. I love the 5R110, on my second one of those too though.:rolleyes:

The 6.0 really gets a bad rap, and its easy to see why, though it doesn't take much to get it right. Get the ARP's in and get the EGR cooler OFF of the truck, whole different truck then.

You can unplug your EGR valve too to shut the function off, it will probably throw a code that the bullydog wont fix. An SCT will fix that up though.

The dealer replaced my heads and gaskets under warranty at 50k, but they would only install the factory head bolts. I even offered to supply ARP studs, but they wouldn't do it under warranty work. EGR delete voids the warranty too, so I'm stuck at stock til 100k. 54k now.

S.A.J
06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Thats gotta suck lol. Well we just started it up first time cold after the reflash,started good and amazingly ran real good and doesnt miss at idle! We havnt driven it cold yet though so we'll have to see sometime what that does but for the most part it seems to be good so far atleast...