PDA

View Full Version : Simplified Wiring???

jcs003
05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
anyone have any details on how to simplify the wiring on the 250r? no need for lights and such...

i seen on' Andy Lagzdins' build he did one and it looks very sleek. any detailed info would be appreciated.

**maybe one of you guys can make it into a STICKY

jcs003
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
here is the pic from andy's thread: looks like it is missing the rectifier or whatever that small aluminum, finned part is also:confused: :confused:

1promodfan
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a question.........what is the rectifier used for anyway........lights?? My bike doesn't have one either.

kouki
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Yep, if you don't have lights you don't need the rectifier/voltage regulator. That is all it runs.

jcs003
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
any more help fellas???

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
you familiar with reading schematics? if so you can simplify the harness with ease. :cool:

jcs003
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
you familiar with reading schematics? if so you can simplify the harness with ease. :cool:

i get lost in that schematic. it is true what they say about mechanical engineers, "we can't rewire a table lamp.lol

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i get lost in that schematic. it is true what they say about mechanical engineers, "we can't rewire a table lamp.lol

:D i heard dat....... a civil here. what do they say about them?

would a color coded schematic help more?

jcs003
05-27-2009, 01:44 PM
this just confuses me in color. what is a pulse generator?

looks like all there is in andy's pic is the CDI and teather shut-off:confused: :confused: :confused:

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
every thing else(not pictured in your post)(with the exception of the regulator) is under the flywheel cover. the pulse generator is the lil unit that is mounted next to the flywheel(held on by 2 screws). the tether is to be hooked up to the extra black wire w/white stripe. follow me now? :cool:

jcs003
05-27-2009, 01:52 PM
every thing else(not pictured in your post)(with the exception of the regulator) is under the flywheel cover. the pulse generator is the lil unit that is mounted next to the flywheel(held on by 2 screws). follow me now? :cool:

yea.lol. so basically all i need is the CDI, wires to turn engine off and the wires that go to the stator and PULSE GENERATOR???

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
do you currently have a complete (unbutchered) harness?

jcs003
05-27-2009, 02:01 PM
yes. i have an 88 harness i plan on using with an 86 motor. i think it has a plug for a key or something.:confused: my complete bike does not have it.

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
try not to hack a complete harness if it can be helped. ;)

jcs003
05-27-2009, 02:10 PM
try not to hack a complete harness if it can be helped. ;)

i also have an 86 ATC as a spare??? the CDI is smaller though and plugs would need changes...as the ones that go into the stator would for an 88 harness with an 86 motor.

86 Quad R
05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
you have a pm.

mxduner
05-28-2009, 01:21 AM
try not to hack a complete harness if it can be helped. ;) along the same topic, 86 or anyone have any idea where we can find the connectors 2 and 4 prongs that plug into the cdi? mine is on its last leg and i got another honda that needs 1. I was just hoping i can find these at some electrical supply outfit, instead of buying a whole harness.

i'll leave out any civil engineer jokes out... for now:D

05LSR250R
05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a harness I will sell! I can take some pics if you want! I just bought a new one!

mxduner
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
I have a harness I will sell! I can take some pics if you want! I just bought a new one! you got 3 of them lol. i have 3 machines in my stable that are on their last leg, as far as the cdi connectors. I'd hate to hack up a 250r harness to repair a trx 125 lol

jcs003
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
i have the 86 motor and an 88 COMPLETE harness...i just want to simplify it:confused:

if someone would trade me a simplified 86 harness with teather, i will give up the complete 88. i just need a good pic to make sure my stator is the right year.

I HATE WIRING

05LSR250R
05-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
you got 3 of them lol. i have 3 machines in my stable that are on their last leg, as far as the cdi connectors. I'd hate to hack up a 250r harness to repair a trx 125 lol

I just have the one harness! If you want pics and price to your zip then please PM me! Thanx!

wes350x
05-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a wire harness "simplified" like the pic you show for an 89 model. I took it off cause I now have a cr ignition. Wires only from stator then to cdi-coil-kill switch. I dont have a kill switch on it now but any tether should work. Pm an offer if you want it. I can send pics.

thedeatons
05-29-2009, 11:51 PM
If you want to lose more weight you can leave the tether switch out, and kill the engine with the clutch while in gear...

-OR-

You can do what I did and buy a button from Ride Engineering:

http://motocross.transworld.net/2009/04/17/daily-hook-up-ride-engineering-kill-switch/

Works great, clean, and easy.

BY THE WAY - ANY tether will NOT work. There are normally open switches, and normally closed. The 250R (most two strokes) require a normally open switch, with ground on one side, waiting for the switch to be closed by a button or tether, in which case the ground is applied to the ignition, stopping the spark, and thereby stopping the engine from running. (Normally closed would apply ground to the CDi all the tiime, never allowing you to start the bike)

James

jcs003
05-31-2009, 10:45 AM
i think i got it figured out.

is the white wire only for lighting?

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Yep.... I have mine terminated into heat shrink.

jcs003
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Yep.... I have mine terminated into heat shrink.

what does this mean? i know a heat sink is a device that allows transfer of thermal energy from a higher temp to a lower one

i shouldn't need the handlebar switches anymore???...if i have a shutoff button or teather?

another thing is, i am using an 88 harness with an 86 motor and everything just plugs right in:confused: the only difference is see is it needs a key switch and the insulation is a different type but same colors.

jcs003
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
http://motocross.transworld.net/2009/04/17/daily-hook-up-ride-engineering-kill-switch/

i should be able to hook this up to the Bl/W wires coming from the CDI to kill the engine???

the Bl/W splits into two and from what the schematic shows the Bl/W wires are for the ignition and engine stop switch...

next questuin. if i wanted to go with a teather. i would remove the split from the Bl/W and connect it to the teather wire???

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Heat shrink is shrinkable insulation. Looks like a tube, you place it over a piece of wire, then use a heat gun to get it warm, then the shrink tubing shrinks down and conforms with the wire. You can even squeeze the end of the shrink tubing with pliers while it is hot and it will melt together.

As for the key switch, if you need the key then keep it in line, and run the 2nd part of the "T" splice to the tether.

You really need to understand series and parallel circuits to do some of this work. It is very basic. See below:

-x-----x-----x-----

This is a series circuit. The "x" represents something like a light bulb. If you lose any of the light bulbs, then none of them will work, because they are all in series together. Think super-cheap christmas tree lights.

---x-----x-----x----- "A"
l---x----x----x--- "B"

This is a parallel circuit. Part A is essentially a seperate leg, with B being tied to it initially. If you lost A, B will still work, but they will both be lost if the circuit is severed before they seperate. Here is another example:

--x---x---x----x---x---
l-x--l--------l--x-----l---

See how these above are tied in a bit differently?

-----x-----x-----x----x-----x---
l-----x-----x---

This is a series-parallel circuit. You have some lights before the seperation, some after.

Basically your tether has to be wired so it is in parallel with the key switch. That way EITHER one (key or tether) will kill the bike. Make sense at all?

jcs003
05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
i understand basic circuits...any refresher is good. thanks.

i don't want the key anymore or a on/off switch. i want it as basic as possible. iguess the way to describe it is...to have the teather as my switch. when it is plugged in the circuit is complete and i just kick and go or when the teather is pulled the engine turns off and will not start.

thanks again deatons.

edit: WOULD A FEW PICS OF MY SET-UP HELP???

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
It seems as if you already know most of your harness, and are headed in the right direction.

One side of the tether needs to be hooked up to the black/white wire, the other side goes to ground, any ground. I made one central ground on my chassis, and ran everything to that. Simpler that way, less things to check.

It doesn't matter which side of the switch goes to ground or black/white, either way works.

Basically if you have excess wires, take them out. You only need the stator/pulse assembly, CDI, ground, coil. Everything else is excess. If you want lights, then you need to keep the rectifier/white wire, etc.

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
so, i just need to remove the two "T's" where the light wires come off??

thanks again deatons you are a big help.

i will post a few pics so i can have a piece of mind

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
the 86 stator wires and 88 harness:

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:14 PM

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:17 PM

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM

jcs003
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
It is difficult to tell what is going on with the pictures....

Basically everything that is connected with connectors stays. The white wire from the stator can just be taped at the end, or you can use heat shrink to terminate it.

All those green wires need to be unwrapped, and cleaned out. The kill switch (whether it be a button or tether) can be connected in with the green wires, so you can get your ground from there, and I mount the ground wires under my coil bolt, using external-toothed star washers, to make sure the ground is good and through the paint/powder coat.

If you have a finned silver unit (rectifier) you can leave it out, it is for lights. You only need the coil, CDI, stator, kill switch. That's it.

James

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Where is that wire going in pic 5? To the clutch cover bolt? If so, chuck it... Useless.

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
What the heck are all those thick tan wires? Kind of a rat's nest eh?

Here is what I suggest. Get a stock wiring harness, and splice it how you want it. Unless you are electrically inclined, in which case I would buy wire in the same colors as stock, and rewire the connectors yourself. That is what I will be doing soon, using weatherpack connectors (automotive grade). No more old electrical problems for me!

James

jcs003
05-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Where is that wire going in pic 5? To the clutch cover bolt? If so, chuck it... Useless.

its not going to the clutch cover bolt. it is just laid out so it can be seen.(thats the black/white stripe wires)

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
K.... good.

jcs003
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
What the heck are all those thick tan wires? Kind of a rat's nest eh?

Here is what I suggest. Get a stock wiring harness, and splice it how you want it. Unless you are electrically inclined, in which case I would buy wire in the same colors as stock, and rewire the connectors yourself. That is what I will be doing soon, using weatherpack connectors (automotive grade). No more old electrical problems for me!

James

the brown wires in the bundle are for the lights as specified in the schematic. i bundled them to organise the seperate sections of the system.

thedeatons
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Got it. It will be nice to see your finished product, with all clean wiring. I cleaned my wires with QD too, and added 1/4" plastic flexible sheathing, just to hide all the wiring. :)

jcs003
06-01-2009, 05:07 AM
i do think i have it figured out, just my electrical confidence is a bit low so i am afraid to cut those two bundles off.

as for hooking the teatrher up yo the "green". what would i do with the black/white stripe wire?

thedeatons
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Make sure to read my posts slowly and thoroughly.... :):)

The tether has two wires. One goes to green, the other goes to black/white. Make sure to get a normally open tether, preferably a Pingel. The cheap tethers fail quickly (Tusk, etc).