PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank?

mmbintn
05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
What do you all think of this oil tank? Would it be worth it to purchase? I do allot of slow riding in the woods and thought it might help with the heat. Click Me (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280347902381&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1373)

BEAVER.989
05-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know much about and can't be of much help, but since you asked what we thought... I think that thing is ugly as hell, lol.

I'd look into synthetic oils and maybe a SPAL fan first, just my opinion.

mmbintn
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah it is ugly. I already run full synthetic but have not bought the fan yet as I am trying to get all the parts around to make it come on automaticly (at a preset temp) as I don't like the switch thing for it.

BEAVER.989
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Thats a good idea, but the switch would have it's benefits, though. You'd be able to run the fan with the quad off to help it cool even faster, for example.

scuzz
05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Looks like my little sister welded it.

05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Not worth it. The oil will get just as hot as it would in the stock tank maybe a few degrees cooler with more surface area but from all the research I did a while back on them its a waste of cash. Those welds look terrible too.

mmbintn
05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Thats a good idea, but the switch would have it's benefits, though. You'd be able to run the fan with the quad off to help it cool even faster, for example.

With the motor off and the fan running it will not really cool the motor anymore. At least not enough to make it worth running it. The oil does not circulate once the motor is stopped so it would only cool the oil in the radiator and what little air did make it to the motor would be as hot as the oil it was cooling. I get better cooling from the the Oklahoma winds. That is why I anted to hook it up to a temp switch so it will cool it when I am deep in some ravine and I am only going 2-5mph.

I do agree that it is ugly and based on what you all have said I will not get it and will stick with my original plan with the spal fan.

matt14c
05-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I ordered one of these tanks and just got it today and it looks alot better in person than in the pics on the auction. My stock tank the drain bolt stripped out so I needed a new tank and im getting a 416 now so I thought the extra quart and with the air holes would be nice. Im not sure if I would buy one if I didnt need a tank but since I did thought it was a good buy.

smokindw
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
hey i just mounted mine up today and when i was riding fast it cooled the oil down bout 20 degrees(i know cuz i have a xr's only temp dipstick) and it really isnt as bad looking as the pic on ebay makes it look like!! Im gona powdercoat mine carbon black in a lil while and 4 the money cooling my bike down 2o is worth it!!