PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke

450R NOOB
05-25-2009, 08:17 PM
So Im riding with my cousin today and I notice some blue smoke coming out of my pipe. Oil right? It only happens when I give it throttle but especially when I let off. When it idles it looks fine but when I take off it looks like a banshee with 50/50. This doesn't sound like rings because it doesn't smoke while it's idling. Any Ideas?

450R NOOB
05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
BUMP

Sjorge450R
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
sounds like rings to me.

RobRacing
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Your valves could not be seatting properlly allowing oil to seep in from the head, The rings could possibly be wore out or the piston. What year is your bike? Has it ever been re-built? And how hard do you ride it?

450R NOOB
05-27-2009, 02:10 PM
ITs an 05 that I bought used. The guy said it was just rebuilt, maybe 30 hrs. on it. I rode it the hardest I have since I've had it sat. and Monday, topped out in 5th for the first time. I will check my rings and piston tomorrow but how do I check/fix the valves if they are not seatting properly?

flyboy62
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
check the oil level. to full will do it

jpfmotors
05-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I GOOD WAY TO TELL IF ITS THE VALVES OR THE VALVE SEALS IS LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT AND WHEN YOU FIRST START IT UP IF IT SMOKES ALOT WHEN IT FIRST FIRES UP THEN ITS BAD VALVES OR SEALS. WHEN YOU LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT AND THE VALVES DONT SEAL TO THE HEAD OR THE VALVE SEALS ARE BAD THE OIL DRIPS INTO THE CYLINDER AND BURNS UP WHEN YOU FIRST START IT.

450R NOOB
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately I have already taken my head off jpfmotors so I can't do that. I have ran multiple tanks through it since my last oil change so too much oil shouldn't be the prob. How else do I check seating/valves? Also My piston does not have pins on the sides to keep the bearing from sliding out. There is something else i guess. How do I remove my piston? Im pretty sure its not stock

450R NOOB
05-31-2009, 02:21 PM
... also how do you remove valves from head without special tool?

450R NOOB
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM

jpfmotors
06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
THERE ARE A LOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS THAT YOU CAN CHECK VALVES AND REMOVE THE VALVES. FIRST YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE VALVE KEEPERS TAKE A SOCKET THAT FITS ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE SPRING RETAINED AND HIT IT WITH A HAMMERAND THE KEEPERS WILL POP OUT. THEN YOU CAN CHECK THE VALVE STEM PLAY IN THE GUIDE BY PUSHING THE STEM SIDE TO SIDE AND CHECKING THE DISTANCE WITH A DIAL INDICATER ITS A LITTLE TOUGH AND WILL HAVE TO FIND OUT ALL THE SPECS I HOPE THIS HELPS

the Z Man
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
There is a tiny clip on either side of the pin that holds the piston on. You can look at your valves were they seat and check for a sharp edge for wear.. they should also have a nice ring around the edge with a little gap from the top.

the predator
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
#1 all these /'s you're askign makes we wonder why the heel would you open up your engine not knowing any of this in advance or atleast someone there that did..

but on your head with it still intact all valves, seals, springs, etc. fill with carb cleaner or etc. let sit for a while and see i anything leaks through as long as careful when filling head chambers you can check the table or bench it sits on for liquid or moidsture to see if your leaking. then just detemine it is...remember if you replace valves you need to do seals to they come with all top end gasket kits. also need to know how to check your seats may need a valve job also depending how bad it got.

450R NOOB
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
I really didn't want to break into my engine this far without help but I don't have any money for a mechanic and I don't know anyone that knows how to get into these engines. But thanks for the help everybody, I'll be working on it tonight.

450R NOOB
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Got my piston out and it looks good. Im having trouble on my valves though. What exactly do I need to put my socket on?

jpfmotors
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
you want it on the spring retainer wich is on top of the spring

450R NOOB
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks alot jpfmotors. I wasn't hitting it hard enough. So far I have both my intake valves out. One slid right out and the other I had to twist and pull and wrestle with it to get it out. should they just slide out or is that valve probably the bad one? Also what is a valve job? New valves and guides?

jpfmotors
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
there are a lot of types of valve jobs it depends on how bad the valves are. the valves should just slide out of the guidsi f you had to twist and pull with some force they could be bent.

450R NOOB
06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Just tried putting it back in either guide and it wouldn't go so I'll need a valve I guess. could that be the source of my problem?

jpfmotors
06-03-2009, 02:55 PM
GOOD POSSIBILITY BUT THEN YOU ALSO HAVE TO ASK WHY OR HOW DID IT BEND? DID IT HIT THE PISTON? WERE THE VALES ADJUSTED TO TIGHT? CHECK THE TOP OF THE PISTON SEE IF THERE IS ANY VERY SMALL NICKS IN IT.

450R NOOB
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
It was about time to check my valves when it started smoking but I didn't think to check them while I was tearing it down . I couldn't see any nicks on the piston but I'm pretty sure it is a bad valve because my other valve fits in both guides very smoothly.

450R NOOB
06-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Do you have to order valves in sets? Also what do I need to order? valve, springs, retainers, seats? My valves have 2 springs too. Who do you guys have to do your seats?

450R NOOB
06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
BEnt valve is NOT the problem. When the valve is in the head where it operates, it is smooth. It is only tough when the end of it passes through the guide. I'm guessing seat or seal? Does this sound right?

the Z Man
06-03-2009, 09:08 PM
If the other one slides fine I would say tis the valve, how does the surface look, there should be a nice ring where it seals, if there is an open spot she is bent, lay it on the edge of a table and roll the stem to see if its bent.

450R NOOB
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
There is a nice silver ring where it seals. I rolled it and it rolled fine. I also put it in a drill and it didn't look bent at all?:confused:

450R NOOB
06-08-2009, 03:28 PM
My uncle came over and told me the valve is bent and showed me where the seat was sunk in so I need a new valve and a seat recut. Question is, how much would a seat recut cost and when do I replace the seat?

the Z Man
06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Your seat should be fine, you will need a compound for the new valve to re-seat it, you can put the compound on the seat, insert the valve and press your thumb in firmly into the bottom of the valve while turning the valve, that should be good enough to re-seat...

450R NOOB
06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't know, you can see where the seat is a whole different angle than my other seat.