PDA

View Full Version : questions for the shock gurus

paul_700
05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been doing the basic shock service/ rebuilting on my own units for quite a while now and want to start experimenting with the more advanced areas of the setup. I have a few questions for the masters in this forum.

Where is the best place to get valve shims ? I have been able to find stuff for my fox, elka, and axis but have trouble with the kyb,hpg, and show.

Are there any sources available to the private mechanic for baseline valving recomendations etc. on the stock units like showa? example:I have a 450r stock rear unit that i need to spring and valve for a 280lb rider. Do I just start doing trial and error tuning or are there recomended starting points for me out there?

Also does anyone actually valve the stock showa trx shocks using stock pistons do you need to use after market pistons or modify the stock ones?

Any other pointers you guys can give me on diving into the world of shock tuning would be very appreciated like good resources, websites, etc. I know it takes a long time to get good at the science of shock work. I just need some pointers on the best way to get started.

motofreak2772
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I think if you become like a certified dealer or what not. you pay for like a class for each specific shock brand and each one has its own info and junk that they tell you so you know how to work on their shock. I'm not completely sure but I think its something like that.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Most people learn from testing and trail and error. There are class's but they can be expensive. Every shock is different but the basics apply to everything.

triple b
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
My buddy gets all of our suspension parts from Race Tech (moto, atv and sxs)
Seals, Oil, Valves and Shims. He set up a C.O.D. account.

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=63&menuid=71

Look under search and they have a spring rate caculator that gets you close.....