PDA

View Full Version : Haven fun with the build

rigger
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Been working on my 250R project since about the end of December now and just came in from the garage and just wanted say how much fun I have had on this project so far.

Just having a good time building this thing up from nothing. I started out with just a frame and a few other little parts. Now I have about 75% of the R. To me it is just cool bringing this machine back to life again. It will not be the fastest or best looking but it will be cool knowiing that I built it from scratch. Doing the work my self and looking for deals on parts for it. I am building this on a very tight budget so I can not make her the best one on the trails but I do think she will turn a few heads and will be a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

I am not going to race. Just play and have fun with it. That is what this is all about for me. Just haven fun with the build and the ride. So what if a new 450 can beat me some where. If it was not for the R, that new 450 may not even be here. And taking a 20 something year old machine that can still hold it's own with the modern day machines should really say something about the R. She may be old, but she can still hang with the young kids out there.

Just a few thoughts for afternoon.

leager-n-ky
05-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Lets see some pic's

rigger
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
If you could tell me how to post them, I could get it done. I just can't ever seem to get it to work.

1promodfan
05-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rigger
If you could tell me how to post them, I could get it done. I just can't ever seem to get it to work.

I use photobucket.com for all my pics. Just load the pics on your computer, then go to photobucket and upload it there. Then all you have to do is copy and paste the link (IMG code) here in your post.

rigger
05-25-2009, 08:59 AM
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rigger4343/100_0217.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rigger4343/100_0219.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rigger4343/100_0229.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rigger4343/100_0235.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rigger4343/100_0234.jpg

These are just some pictures that I took the other day and last night. You can see some of the welding and fab work that I did in these pictures. I got a buddy of mine to weld it for me. I have a handful of other parts for her that are not in the pictures like motor, pipe and so on.

I am just building her up to be a fun play and trail ride. Maybe I will be able to ride her by the fall.

What do you guys think of the seat cover? It came with the plastics and I am not to sure about it. It has grown on me some but I am still thinking of doing a black or black/red cover on it.

Also have some wheels that I am thinking of shooting black. Should I keep the wheels the way they are or shoot them black? They are just stock 400EX rims.

leager-n-ky
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Lookin good so far, The wheels would probably look good black, untill they start chipping. Were you going to powder coat, or just spray them?

rigger
05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Just spray them for now. They are not the best wheels in the world so I am not going to spend the cash on powder coating them. The frame is also just sprayed.

Once I get most of the bugs worked out and I am sure that I am not going to make any more frame mods and once I have the extra cash to do so, then she will get a nice powder coat on eveything.

mineralgrey01gt
05-25-2009, 10:38 AM
pretty nice 250r you have going there. I built one from the frame up part of last year and most of the year before. I regret not fixing it when I broke the frame but now im doing another with a ton of 450r parts on it, full 450r rear end w/ shock, 450r reworked front shocks, etc. Should come out pretty well

rigger
05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
How about your 450R rear shock? How well is that going to work out?

I am running an 89 swing arm and an 86 frame. My rear shock is not in the best of shape so I was looking for others that may work out. I have heard it will and won't work so I don't really know what to go with on that one. I could have mine all fixed up but I have seen some nice used, rebuilt going for about the same as what it would cost me to rebuild and set up the rear for me. I am not sure if I should rebuild what I have or look for something else to run.

mineralgrey01gt
05-25-2009, 10:50 AM
from what i have researched it will work but jack up the rear end about 3" higher than stock, also you cant run an airbox anymore or any centermount pipes (thats my own conclusion i have drawn) What im going to do is use a 3" lowering link from a 450r and get it back down to stock height and that way I can benefit from having a new and in very good shape rear shock. Im not sure if a 450r rear shock will work on a 250r swingarm though, the linkage is very different but I no longer have my 250r swingarm to test it out. Im still looking for a solid frame for my build so I can go ahead and put it all together (what I have so far) and see how the fit and finish of everything goes

leager-n-ky
05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
RIGGER, Check your PM's