PDA

View Full Version : So water cooled is all the rage? :)

puTTs
05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
We went riding today. Pretty dry except a few mud holes. In 80 degree heat. Each mud coating had time to dry in between coats. Think water cooling would do better in this situation? My brothers have 125cc water cooled two stroke bikes(yz125, rm125), they kept overheating. They had to stop and clean there radiators every 30 minutes or so. There radiators looked like my oil cooler. I was running hotter then normal but had no over heat problems and this is what my bike looked like. It was a fun day. :)

If you can't tell by the pic, oil cooler is at the top, oil tank is bottem left and engine bottem right.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Dude.....you may want to seriously reconsider operating your quad under such adverse conditions. Engines create heat and depend on the cooling system (albeit air, water or oil) to cool them.

No cooling = parts melting

Multiply this equation by the hours it'll be down and then divide by the amount of money to buy a new engine. Factor-in tax and use the logrithmic exponential derivitive to account for labor & time to repair, then divide by the depreciation of the quad over the life of it's usable service hours. Gaze upon the April issue centerfold of Playboy and my point is well taken.

On the flip-side, looks like you had yourself some fun! :D

puTTs
05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Very fun day. :D My bike never got hot enough to show signs of overheating, been there before in the Georgia 100+ degree summer... No miss fires, no back fires, no pre dets, no nothing, ran like a champ all day long. If I stalled she fired right back up. I've had more mud packed in there, had the mud packed onto the head flush with the fins. I had a few heat issues that day :). I was just showing how over dramatic everyone is about our air cooled motors overheating. I ran my bike hard for about 6 hours today like this. No problems.

RIDEREDson
05-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Try dodging the mud holes next time...

Snipe
05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
lol looks like someone got carried away with the insulation lol.

Speedy 400ex
05-24-2009, 07:50 PM
WOW!! That had to be a lot of fun to wash off! Your guna have a small pile of dirt in your drive way when your done, lol. Looks like fun though!

powermadd400ex
05-24-2009, 07:54 PM
yuck.
it was pretty sloppy today when we went to.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
LOL.....you know the old saying: if you ain't having fun, you ain't having fun!! :D

When the Hummer H2 first came out we all got into off-roading it and there was nothing more fun then hitting the mud-hole and getting it all nasty & packed with mud. We'd drive home on the freeway with mud caked everywhere and people giving us the thumbs-up (cause most these pigs were bought by yuppies who never ventured outside a mall parking lot).

Anyways....nobody did the mud thing more then a couple times: the amount of time and degree of pain-in-the-butt was ridiculous using the pressure sprayer and trying to get all the mud off (undercarriage). Oddly enough, mud stains rubber hoses and despite my hours of washing, spraying and chiseling, my H2 stll has about 25-pounds of mud retained in and around the deep crevices of the undercarriage.

Yeah, you pay the price down the line for mud-time :D

kilgoja
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
to be honest i don't totally understand the oil cooler process...i mean i used to ride bikes and quads all the time (air cooled) and they never had oil coolers....your cooling fins weren't clogged up with mud so the engine was still able to keep cool...plus i'm sure the cold mud kept it cool too somewhat...lol

BikeSwimLaugh
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
It is indeed and primarily an air-cooled engine, but the oil travels through the journals and lubricates the engine and they found that keeping the oil cool kept the viscosity and lubrcating qualities more stable. Oil is sensitive to temperature; it changes with heat & cold...whereas the engine itself is more tolerant as the metals expand & contract at similar rates. So the oil cooler is more a means of stabilizing the lubricating quality of the oil, not so much a means of cooling the engine.

kilgoja
05-24-2009, 08:11 PM
so now we know...and knowing is half the battle!!!....Yo Joe!!!...lol...jk...thanks for the info

BikeSwimLaugh
05-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Dude....I'm 44, so I suppose I'm pretty darn old. In my vast years of experience I've found that there are 3 degrees of knowledge:

1) Those who know <-- Best off
2) Those who don't know <-- marginal position
3) Those who don't know BUT think they do <-- worst off

Anything I can teach you is nothing more then something someone once told me OR something learned from costly mistakes and errors in the past. Doesn't mean I'm smarter or better then anyone else, just means I've been exposed to the information and/or been around longer. Always be open-minded and never be above listening to advice and getting more info. In other words, presume you're in the 3rd position (as referenced above) and you'll always be safe. At the end of the day, pride ain't worth a nickel and the wisest guy is the one willing and ready to listen and be open-minded.

That works for pretty much everything...but nothing gay: hit the puntang and drool after hot woman. I can say that because we all know that only heterosexuals ride quads and only quad riders read this forum. :)

Yes, yes...too much caffiene for lunch followed by too many beers. I'll digress before the mod's give me a warning :D