View Full Version : Let's talk about oil...

Punkmaster Flex
05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I was thinking about that the other day. I see a lot of threads about making the 400EX's engine run cooler.

Some put huge air coolers, someone use oversized oil tanks, some will install fans. But I dont see anyone talk about oil??

Are you using mineral, semi synthetic or full synthetic oil? What kind of grade? 5W30? 10W40?

What's your favourite oil brand? Why? How often do you change your oil? Do you go by how much fuel you burn or you prefer to use a timer and change your oil every 5, 10, 15 hours?

I think this subject deserves a bit of talking. Sure the 400EX and other Hondas love to be fed, but that doesnt mean you have to give them crap food.

Now, discuss! :D

BEAVER.989
05-24-2009, 12:24 PM
This has actually been talked about quite a bit here. It seems many like to run Mobil 1 15w50, full synthetic.

Me, I'm not sure. I only have about 4hrs on my quad so far, so I haven't decided what I'm gonna feed it, yet.

05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
This has actually been talked about quite a bit here. It seems many like to run Mobil 1 15w50, full synthetic.

yeap. I remember when a long while back when I told everyone thats what I was running people flipped out saying i'm going to ruin my motor and now it seems everybody and their brother is using it haha even my own brother told me that he's like quit using that garbage 6 months later guess what he started using.

Punkmaster Flex
05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok then, how often are you changing it? My friend'S changing his every 5 hours on his 450R. I thin 10 hours would do the job on the 400EX.

The 450s are corrupting oil as eff. I doubt the 400 does but still it's heating quite a bit so my guess is the oil must loose its effiency after a while anyway??

BEAVER.989
05-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd say every 20hrs should be fine unless you're subjecting your quad to some very harsh conditions.

RIDEREDson
05-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I do every 10-15. The oil comes out black as Wesley snipes.

I switched from honda HP4 to Mobil One 15w 50 and I recommend it to everyone. Its a full synthetic unlike the HP4, at the same price or maybe a dollar or two cheaper (depending where you live).

Kevslatvin
05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
I guess I'm going against the norm. I'm running Shell Rotella T 15W-40. It's cheap compared to motorcycle oils and some say it now would pass the JASO test though, Shell hasn't submitted it to them for testing(and probably won't since diesels is their market for this oil) in order to get the label. All the digging around I've done says it's a good oil and wet clutch safe. I know it stays cleaner longer than the Castrol 4T 10w-40 I had in there before.