PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to add a chain link?

NacsMXer
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Alright guys, I know this seems simple but i've never had to add a link to my chain before.

I'm putting a bigger rear sprocket on, and with the carrier at full loose, I can't get the chain on. This is going to be a 16/40 setup, so we are talking big sprockets. So I need to go up a link on the current chain.

The chain I have right now is a DID X-ring with 1 master link on it.

Can I just break the chain where the current master link is, and simply add another master link? What is the easiest way to go about this?

Thanks.

drew416ex
05-23-2009, 09:19 PM
yeah you can do that if you have another piece of chain to go between the to master links. Ive done it and never had a problem with it.

tri5ron
05-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Nacs,
you could also add a half link to each end of your existing chain, and then use your same master link inbetween the two half links. That way you would not need to find a center roller from an old chain, the half links will already have the rollers.

you should be able to get half links at your local hardware store.

drew416ex
05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
yeah i forgot about a half link. It would work if it gives you enough lenght.

NacsMXer
05-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I didn't think of that with the half links, I will have to try that. Don't know if I would trust hardware store quality links in my chain though...hmmm. Can I buy the links through DID? Thanks guys!

droppedmazda
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
you could just run 15/37 gearing and leave your chain the same. the gearing would be the same as what your going for.