PDA

View Full Version : How to tell ?????

Vampire2800
05-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I purchased a used 2005 Yamaha YFZ450. It's yellow, black & white. After some research I found that it's an SE. It has a GYT-R pipe, K&N air filter, no lid for the airbox, & I don't know much else. I can't find a manual online anywhere. I'd like to know if it's been jetted & what the little black box near the battery is. I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to these things as I'm a new rider. I was talking to the guy at the Yamaha dealer where I live & I told him that before the fan kicks on, if I bump the throttle really hard (all the way forward), it bogs down. If I press it slowly, then it revs up to the limit & all is well. Why does it start off moving slowly then just jump out from underneath you in 1st gear? I've searched for some sort of adjustment to make the air/fuel mixture a little richer as the ATV came from California & is now at about 1,000 elevation. Also, why wont it pop a wheelie? My buddy has a 2005 Honda 400 EX & he'll burn through all 5 gears & never let the front wheels touch the ground. He says mine is faster, but we've yet to test that. I don't even know how to change the oil in it. Where's the filter & which oil hole do you put the oil in, i.e. - the hole with the "dipstick" or the other one? All the other fluids are just fine, but the oil is dark. Lucas makes an oil for motorcycles that I bought & it's almost clear. Oh, & where's the spark plug? Sorry for being so wordy, but these are questions that I can't find on the net. Thanks in advance.:confused:

bferg911
05-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Until you learn these things I suggest you take it to a mechanic for services. You are asking the most elementary of questions which tells me either you know absolutely nothing about your bike or you are full of crap and just looking for somekind of funny response. Good luck man. if you are seious then go to yfzcentral.com they even show pics.

Vampire2800
05-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, unfortunately I am brand new to this. But, everyone has to start somewhere. I'll take a look at www.yfzcentral.com. Thanks, you've at least pointed me in the right direction. That's more than enough for now. Thanks again

Vampire2800
05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I guess you have to detach the fuel tank to get to carb. I found some info on the site that you mentioned, but no pictures or schematics. Appearantly they come jetted for sea level from the factory (according to the parts manager at the dealership). But I still don't know where the screw is to adjust the air/fuel mixture for more power. If I need to pull the fuel tank off, please let me know if that's where the carb is. I don't know what an ATV carb looks like because the enitre engine is not much bigger than a 4 barrell carb on a hotrod. Thanks for your help. Any sites with good info would be much appreciated also.

Tommy Warren
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
wow man your really new to this... does your buddy with the 400ex not know anything about bikes? he should be able to answer most of these basic questions. but anyways your bike bogs when its cold because of the pilot jet being too small. if i were you i wouldn't touch the carb AT ALL. send it to your local dealer and ask him all these questions. if you don't know how to check the oil why would you think you can tune a carb?

bferg911
05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
I guess you have to detach the fuel tank to get to carb. I found some info on the site that you mentioned, but no pictures or schematics. Appearantly they come jetted for sea level from the factory (according to the parts manager at the dealership). But I still don't know where the screw is to adjust the air/fuel mixture for more power. If I need to pull the fuel tank off, please let me know if that's where the carb is. I don't know what an ATV carb looks like because the enitre engine is not much bigger than a 4 barrell carb on a hotrod. Thanks for your help. Any sites with good info would be much appreciated also.

Seriously man, go buy a clymer manual. It will tell you how to do almost anything on it. BUT and I mean BUT, you still have to have basic mechanical knowledge in order to understand it. If you don't and I honestly think you don't, then do yourself a big favor and find a mechanic or shop that will tune it for you. Just my 2 cents.

bferg911
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh and by the way, if your exhaust is in good shape and you would like a full Ron Woods exhaust, I will trade you straight across. I bought the exact same yfz that you got for my wife and she loves it but doesn't like how loud it is. Anyway let me know.