PDA

View Full Version : Throttle adjustment?

BEAVER.989
05-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I have a very dumb question... Why is the throttle adjustable at the handlebars? Is this to take up slack if the cable stretches over time?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 400EX will not reach full throttle with the way it is set/adjusted from the factory. I cannot find the thread now to save my life. Does anyone else remember seeing that, or can someone shed a little light on the subject for me?

trailrider894
05-23-2009, 06:28 PM
i think it just adjustest the cable tention??

hondaking52
05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
the adjustment up at ur bars only adjusts ur idle.

BassHunter0123
05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
there is adjustment for the cable on the carb as well

BEAVER.989
05-24-2009, 06:22 AM
I've adjusted it all the way from one way to the other and it doesn't seem to affect the idle at all. I guess I'm just wondering what affect it has on the full throttle position.

NacsMXer
05-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
I've adjusted it all the way from one way to the other and it doesn't seem to affect the idle at all. I guess I'm just wondering what affect it has on the full throttle position.

It simply takes the slack out of the throttle cable. Or allows you to set the slack as you want....kinda how it is on the clutch cable. It has nothing to do with the idle, that is a separate adjustment on the carb. The only way adjusting the throttle cable will raise the idle is if it's too tight (cracking the throttle open at all times), which means it's adjusted improperly.

If there is too much slack, the throttle won't open all the way at wide open, which is how some stock 400's come off the showroom floor. Only way to verify this is to take the carb off with the throttle cable still attached, and look to see if the slide/butterfly is opening all the way at WOT. If it is not, adjust the tension on the cable tighter. ...oh and be careful not to squirt yourself in the eye with gas while you do this lol :p

hondaking52
05-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
oh and be careful not to squirt yourself in the eye with gas while you do this lol :p haha, ya i know wat ya mean!, scared me wen i tore my bike down and pumped the throttle,:D

BEAVER.989
05-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
It simply takes the slack out of the throttle cable. Or allows you to set the slack as you want....kinda how it is on the clutch cable. It has nothing to do with the idle, that is a separate adjustment on the carb. The only way adjusting the throttle cable will raise the idle is if it's too tight (cracking the throttle open at all times), which means it's adjusted improperly.

If there is too much slack, the throttle won't open all the way at wide open, which is how some stock 400's come off the showroom floor. Only way to verify this is to take the carb off with the throttle cable still attached, and look to see if the slide/butterfly is opening all the way at WOT. If it is not, adjust the tension on the cable tighter. ...oh and be careful not to squirt yourself in the eye with gas while you do this lol :p

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. One more question, though... If the tension is already all the way tight and it doesn't open all the way, is there an adjustment at the carb, as well?

BassHunter0123
05-24-2009, 07:49 AM
yes there is an adjustment on the carb simaler to whats on the throttle.

Punkmaster Flex
05-24-2009, 08:09 AM
I think that only adjusting the thumb itself will do great job for you. Here's how to adjust it from the manual shop. This also work for pretty much all the quads too.

Click Me! (http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1679/throttleadjustment.jpg)

Hope it helps. :)

uchi
05-24-2009, 03:24 PM
is there a way to overadjust it? the carb wont open past a certain point so im guessing if you take up too much slack itll go to wot sooner than it would before. but if you took up too much slack in theory it should also raise the idle a bit

Punkmaster Flex
05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
That's why it is recommended to do this while the bike is running. Just tighten until you hear a slight change in the idle. :)

Snipe
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
That is what I did just listen really closly to the motor you will hear it talkin to you and it will do much better.