PDA

View Full Version : should i try a twist?

Sjorge450R
05-23-2009, 02:16 PM
simple question.

how many thumb guys out there tryed and came right back?

how many instantly loved the twist?

BlaineKaiser450
05-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I personally hate twists on quads. but thats just me

907Rider
05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Try it. If you don't like it you can always go back. Opions on twists are mixed, the best bet is to try one for yourself.

hondariderdylan
05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
a freind of mine had a bad time with a twist, he was riding a dirt bike up a hill climb and it hit a rock and it sent it up on the back tire, then he was holding on to the bars and it stuck the throttle wide open............. you get the point

try it out though, see if you like it;)

05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
yeah twist throttles on quad just disrupts flow. its just weird a dirtbike it goes the way the bike moves it seems fluid but on a quad it feels odd and like going in a different direction rather than following the fluid movement. I hate quads with twist throttles on them.

Sjorge450R
05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
see i was just asking because a lot of top pro's run them....etc borich. There has to be a good side to them. Once I get a few pay checks in the bank i will grab a cheapy motion pro kit.

Wills77
05-23-2009, 06:33 PM
i run twist on all my quads. usually the first thing i will change. i just feel more comfortable with it

RATPACK Z400
05-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Most GNC pro,s run thumb in motocross wimmer,gust,weiman,byrd,creamer,natalie,lawson,bro wn,goodman,run thumb so theres got to be something about a thumb thottle on a quad thats better than twist for some reason I tried twist hated it in tight woods. i think you can grip bars better with thumb and hang on when things get ruff without gasing it when you dont want to.

SRH
05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
there was a article inn a mag awhile back natalie said twist tired him out as the race would go on because he would end up chopping the throttle and stuff when he didnt want to

the reason i hate twist on a quad is when u corner your dropping your elbows and pulling etc its harder to control the throttle when its a twist when your riding hard its not natural, on a bike you and the bike are always going the same direction and turning th ebars is minimal so its not an issue

i say dont waste the money on a twist

deathman53
05-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm with a twist all the way. All my atv's are twists. I couldn't have it any other way. The accidents come with the twist when you grip it hard, like you would with a thumb. I hold on more with my left hand and kinda let my right float over it, gripping it, but nothing hard. It helps alot with choppy stuff. My first time with it with alittle scary, until I learned that.

NacsMXer
05-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
yeah twist throttles on quad just disrupts flow. its just weird a dirtbike it goes the way the bike moves it seems fluid but on a quad it feels odd and like going in a different direction rather than following the fluid movement. I hate quads with twist throttles on them.

You're kinda hinting at the reason that bikes come with twists off the showroom floor and quads come with thumb throttles. It's an ergonomics thing. With bikes, you lean and turn the bars in the turns, so the twist feels more natural. With a twist on the quad, you don't lean, you just turn the bars back and forth so a twist feels awkward.

I've ridden quads with twists and they feel extremely strange to me. Yet I can hop on any bike and feel right at home with a twist. That tells you something right there...it's the two different riding styles between a bike and quad that makes the difference.

XCRacer236
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM
i rode my buddies twist for the first time last year, and it was ok. rather have the thumb though. his was the quarter turn not the half turn though.

Kickstarts-suck
05-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I ran a twist and Loved it for just riding but when "stuntin" it sucked and I went back to thumb.

300ex_#387
05-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I have always raced MX with a twist throttle. I recently switched back to a thumb and still felt good but I feel way more comfortable with my twist throttle so i switched back.

ds450racer
05-24-2009, 02:50 PM
i run a twist coz when i rode with a thumb throttle it gave me really bad arm pump. dont get me wrong atvs are meant to have thumb throttles. its the safer way and proper way to ride one. But i cant ride it with a thumb lol. most people i talk to who has gone from a thumb to a twist including myself hate it the first time u go out on it. but if you spend a day on one practicing somewhere you will get the hang of it. But if your having no problems with a thumb throttle id reccomend you staying on one.

300ex_#387
05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ds450racer
i run a twist coz when i rode with a thumb throttle it gave me really bad arm pump. dont get me wrong atvs are meant to have thumb throttles. its the safer way and proper way to ride one. But i cant ride it with a thumb lol. most people i talk to who has gone from a thumb to a twist including myself hate it the first time u go out on it. but if you spend a day on one practicing somewhere you will get the hang of it. But if your having no problems with a thumb throttle id reccomend you staying on one.

Thats really weird because I switched back to a thumb for awhile because my twist throttle gave me really bad arm pump. If you think about it the twist should actually give you worse arm pump since your holding on tighter and moving your arm and wrist a lot more.

ds450racer
05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
well it wasnt arm pump it was hand pump if you get me lol. just my whole hand kept carmping up with one.

300ex_#387
05-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ds450racer
well it wasnt arm pump it was hand pump if you get me lol. just my whole hand kept carmping up with one.

I understand. I ran a race last weekend with my thumb throttle and started having a hard time pushing the throttle halfway through the race.

SRH
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
alot of people just throw a thumb throttle on and dont spend any time positioning it to where u can ride hard with no arm pump

cletusEX
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I run a twist for XC. I switched a few years back when I was having thumb pump problems with a thumb throttle. I can ride both but a twist just seems more natural for me. It definitely took some getting used too, but after a few races I won't turn back. I run a 450r with a Wiseco 500 kit and a cam with some port work and it is still controllable with a twist. Just have to get used to cracking it open!

deathman53
05-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I changed the position, put on a longer lever, different bend lever and a adjustable position lever. It was bearable with the adjustable lever.

05LSR250R
05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I run a thumb throttle 9 months outta the year. When the cold really hits I switch to the twist because my thumb stays warmer! Ive ran twist in the past and always had scary situations with them in the dirt! I think they call it "Whiskey Throttle"?

deathman53
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
that is when you don't have control of it, mostly due to being tired or wrist hurting. I get it sometimes, mostly when tired and shouldn't be riding anyway.

hale23
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a thumb throttle currently. I have thought about switching. I have a few severed tendons in my thumb that make the thumb throttle tiring.

krt400ex
05-26-2009, 07:59 AM
i have to say that on a bike, i couldnt do a thumb, but on a quad i cant have a twist. for me its a matter of comfort. on a quad im just able to control it better wit a thumb, where on the bike its the exact opposite.

soonerdude77
05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Nothin' wrong with a good twist.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JW7K01Djsqc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JW7K01Djsqc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mxduner
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
you guys are gonna laugh.So i've been on quads and trikes for a good 20 some years.I tried the bike thing out and for 2 years i tried and tried to get this foreign twist thingy down to have no luck with it.it just doesn't go natural to me.Needless to say, i have a thumb throttle on my bike, and all my bike buddys laugh at me.Yea it's funny but it just works for me. To each is own thats my advice to you.

krt400ex
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
you guys are gonna laugh.So i've been on quads and trikes for a good 20 some years.I tried the bike thing out and for 2 years i tried and tried to get this foreign twist thingy down to have no luck with it.it just doesn't go natural to me.Needless to say, i have a thumb throttle on my bike, and all my bike buddys laugh at me.Yea it's funny but it just works for me. To each is own thats my advice to you.

i was temped to do that when i first got my bike, but i did end up getting used to the throttle. my friend knew someone that had done that to their 450f also.

krt400ex
05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
I run a thumb throttle 9 months outta the year. When the cold really hits I switch to the twist because my thumb stays warmer! Ive ran twist in the past and always had scary situations with them in the dirt! I think they call it "Whiskey Throttle"?

yes thats the name. i suffered from whiskey throttle until i put a solid ten hours on my buddies kx250. that taught me a lesson lol :devil:

Mxjunkie
05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I've had twist since I first started racing and I'll never go back to a thumb throttle.. Doesn't work for me at all!