PDA

View Full Version : "Burning OIL"

EX_RIDER
01-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok guys,
this is a big problem I am having.

Last year I order the 416 J.E. piston and cam from marcums atv.
So about 1/2 year ago, I got the cylinder bored out by my local honda shop(barnhearts).
So my dad and I put the whole top end back together along with the new valve seals.
It was now smoking even worse then before.I mean it was burning OIL out the WANG.I ran it like this for like 35 mins. I had enough of this and knew there was a problem here.
My dad and I took the top end off again and checked to make sure the ring gaps were not lined up.And then we put it back in time and put it back together.BIG PROBLEM arises!! It is still smoking and burning LOTS of oil.It is burning oil 10 times worse then my 87 LT 250r.
So about 3 months ago,remimber my quad is just sitting in the garage waiting cause I had to save up even more money to fix it.
I am to the point i have to clue what the heck is wrong. So we take the whole top end of again and i take it to a shop(sweet commusion dirtbike)(great PPL)
I tell him that i want to back together and not to smoke and tell him all about it all.
He puts in another set of valve seals,repack silerencer cause it was full of oil,gaskets,spark plug,and says he said every thing was good.
I picked it up today and was SOOOOOOO happy to pick up my 400ex.He says he did what he could and it should be better.

HERES THE PROBLEM
It still smokes and burns LOTS of oil.So much oil that it is blowing wet oil all the way out the end of my exhaust.

WHY IS IT SMOKING! it has about 1.8 hours on the top end and new valve seals,rins not lined up.
I am going to do a wet/dry compression test tommorow on it tommorow before i take the 400ex back down to him AGAIN!!I am so pissed i paided him a decent amount of my hard worked cash to get me right where i was before!!!

EX_RIDER
01-03-2003, 06:51 PM
What really ticked me off is i haven't rode it for like 6 months.I stil have a built *** LT 250r and 400 sport,but i don't like them half as much.My lt has like every thing done to it but i like my 4 strokes now and don't want to ride it.

HELP ME

deansfastway
01-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Is the little white oil accumulator filled up with oil ? Its on the side of the air snorkel if you didnt clean it out good maybe thats all there is wrong ?Also sometimes things will smoke from residual oil in the exhaust but should burn off . Maybe it needed more than just valve seals ,maybe the guides were worn ?? Maybe next timeits apart double check the piston fit and ring gaps . Good Luck .

0240099r1
01-04-2003, 09:12 PM
when you say you lined the rings up you don't meen you put the gaps in a straight line do you?

UglyMotha™
01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 0240099r1
when you say you lined the rings up you don't meen you put the gaps in a straight line do you?

he said that he made sure that they were NOT lined up

0240099r1
01-04-2003, 11:17 PM
o ok its getting late and my brain gets slow this late and i miss a few details here and there...........

EX_RIDER
01-05-2003, 02:29 PM
It has yet another new set of seals in it.

What about valve guides?
what else could let so much oil burn out the exhaust?

TRX_Thumper
01-05-2003, 04:35 PM
maybe its been bored to much and theres not a good fit between the piston an cylinder...really for it to smoke after its warmed up it cant hardly be valve seals....