PDA

View Full Version : Need your help fast!

pdracer440
05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
OK, my sons rear brake was dragging and heating everything up BAD! This has been an issue since we got it, so I decided to check things out a bit.

First thing I noticed aside from the dragging brake was that the rear pedal felt pretty soft. I decided to try a bleed the brakes, but after about an hour I gave this method.

I even attempted to bench bleed them, but they just didnt seem to be cooperating with me. By this I mean they now have NO PEDAL at all.

Long story short, after several hours of messing with this, i got upset and decided to call it a day. I bolted everything back up and before going to work, I took the cap off of the ressy and zip tied the brake pedal down in the hopes that this might assist with pushing some air out of the system.

Got home this morning and found a pool of fluid under the area of the master cylinder and determined that it was leaking in the area that the ressy hose attaches to the master cylinder on the side.

At this point I am tired of this set up and was wodnering if any of you have been able to find a system to replace the stock stuff. Im talking res, cylinder and caliper! Maybe from a 300ex or something like that.

My son has got his first race coming up in mid Juen so I would like to get this rolling as soon as I can. PLEASE HELP!

Ride1Rob
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
You're the 1st I can think of or have ever read about that was having brake issues. My son races and doesn't use his back brake at all. 70% of your stopping power comes from the front. It seems that it's a fairly simple fix though if you know where it's leaking from. FIX THE LEAK! ;)

pdracer440
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
My son also uses his front brake most of the time but this thing has NO REAR AT ALL. Even prior to this leak it was very spongy feeling and was dragging enough that it would chatter on decel due to the weird mounting option that xtreme chose . I will fix the leak this week but im still looking at fabing a better set up.

leager-n-ky
05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Ride1rob, I think you might be the luckiest typhoon owner out there. I have three of these bikes, and all three have had terrible rear brakes. I have replaced the whole rear brake set up on two of them. I hope I dont jinx you, like I did on that crank though...lol

Ride1Rob
05-27-2009, 07:27 AM
For real :ermm: lol. I wouldn't say I'm the luckiest person... I've had my share of small problems with the bike but I've been able to fix them. I've never had any issues with the brakes other than him needing new pads. I was really suprised the crank made it as long as it did after reading all the posts. After having problems with the YX140 crank bearing and then catching hell with Pister Pro on shipping me another bottom end I'm done with both the YX and Pitster. Putting in a Lifan 150. They're made in the same factory as the Honda motors ;) .

leager-n-ky
05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I went with the Lifan 140's, and they have been great. So far

double d 1
05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
you must be the only person that has had a problem with the 140. we ran our evos 140 again this past weekend at the dunes for the second time and it ran great. pretty much full throttle all the time since the sand robs so much power. i would buy another one.

Ride1Rob
05-28-2009, 06:55 AM
It wasn't the performance of the motor. It was the kickstart bearing. I was told from Pitster that they had different types of bearings. When mine went bad I was then told that they must have had a batch of 140's they started putting the same bearings that they had in the 150's and 160's. When you kick the bike over after a certain amount of time the bearing goes to hell causing play. This will brake or crack the inner case. Pitster was supposed to send me out the fix almost a month ago :rolleyes: . The motor was warrantied through T-Bolt so I'm ditching the YX and going with the Lifan. If you feel anything funny with the kickstart you should pull the right side outter cover off and check the bearing behind the primary drive gear. That's the shaft that holds the front sprocket.

wolfpack91
05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
We went through 2 complete rear break set ups before I trashed the Typhoon parts. A Honda 300/400ex master silender will bolt right up along with the resivour. You'll just need to get a longer hose so that it doesn't kink. You will need to make an arm from the brake pedal to the master cylender for proper adjustment.

You will have awesome brakes!!

pdracer440
05-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Already fabbed up the arm and bought the new master cylinder and ressi. Still cant get the darn things to build any pressure so I guess it's time to take it to my mechanic!

Ride1Rob
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM
So the Honda parts weren't the fix?

pdracer440
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
NO NO, they fixed it for sure. Brakes are working great now. It was just a pain in the %$$ to get them bleed.

I ended up bench bleeding them with a syring.