PDA

View Full Version : 440, 416, cam???

400exJOE
11-18-2001, 03:38 PM
I want to get some serious power out of my 400ex but i don't want to ship the motor out to a shop. I'd rather just get the parts and have them installed locally. I was looking a MACRUMS site and found the JE 440 and 416 kit. If I put a piston in i will also do a cam. I have a few questions. First off, how much power am I looking at with either kit?(I already have a supertrapp and K&N) Next, what cam should I get? the all a round or the race cam. (I ride a mix of everything) Next, are there any other parts I should get like valves, valve springs, rods...? Also, should I get the 440 or the 416? My only doubt with the 440 is that if I ever blow it up, can I bore it any bigger or would i need a new jug? Finally, what about compression? I have seen 10 to 1 all the way to 12.5 to 1. What are the advantages of different compression? Anyone with some of these parts, please help me out. Thanks a lot.

Dave400ex
11-18-2001, 05:13 PM
A lot of guys seem to be going with the 416 and the XR cam. You could call TC Racing and Curtis Sparks and tell them what you want. They should be able to hook you up with something.

400exJOE
11-18-2001, 07:50 PM
Anyone out there have a 440 or 416? What do you think of it?

liltazz
11-18-2001, 07:55 PM
id go with the white brothers track cam. it is the drop in for the xr400. same part # i cheaked it out and you dont have to change valve springs. looked into that one too

ccole400EX
11-18-2001, 10:12 PM
i raced a guy this weekend who just had a stock bore 11-1 piston and a web midrange cam and he beat me buy about 4-6 quad links every time we raced. I have the a 416 with a HRC cam. My quad will run with stock Raptors but his quad was super fast. So if he was telling the truth about what he had done i don't think you have to spend alot of $$ to go fast. He also said he didn't harden his rockers or anything. His son had a 440 that would beat piped Raptors it had like 13-1 compression and race cam with race porting said it was getting 50hp out of it. It sure did run like a 50hp quad it was fast. They didn't do anything to the rockers on that one either.

kabd69667
11-19-2001, 03:11 PM
If your looking for midrange to top end go w/ the LRD cam. I think i'm going to get that one sometime next month to give me some top end. You can check out their website at www.lrdracing.com. I don't know too much about the other cams because not many companys write too much about their cams like if it added top end or bottom and how much power