PDA

View Full Version : My TPS (0.41 V)

MtnEX
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
OK, so I got my test leads in and did the stuff by the service manual.

I checked my battery and was fine there after charging.

I checked the input voltage and got 4.98 V

I checked the output voltage and got 0.41 V

These were double checked.
I did not quite figure out how to test the resistance with the test plug.

Before I got to that point my meter quit reading... while I was triple checking the above readings. All I can think of is the fuse in the meter blew? I don't even know how to tell.... it has a glass tube fuse w/metal tips. I'll get another... or another meter.

Anyways, I have not found the info on how to ADJUST the TPS.
Is it in the manual?... Or on here?

MtnEX
05-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, it did turn out to be the fuse blown in my meter. I got a new one yesterday afternoon and re-checked it again lastnight.

I came up with...

Input 4.98 V
Output 0.58 V

But I just turned the key on and checked. I didn't go through the warm-up procedure since the idle was already set... and it was late...

Is this why?

MtnEX
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Nope!... It's because I'm a GooberTard...

I was messing around with the battery this whole time too... My meter has a 12v battery testing setting... and I didn't change from that.

I didn't think it would make a difference... DC being DC either way... but it does. Over on DC it reads 0.58v.

Or I should say it "did"...
I upped it to 0.62v.

It was bouncing between 0.62v-0.63v when I set it.
I dropped on down to a 3 digit reading and it reads 0.636v now.

I hope that's good because I left it there since I already had it snugged in.

Dirtjunkie85
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Did you find out how to reset the tps because when the quad is hot and it sometimes just dies and i go to restart it and it wont. i have heard that Kawis need to have them reset but i cant find out how!!

MtnEX
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dirtjunkie85
Did you find out how to reset the tps because when the quad is hot and it sometimes just dies and i go to restart it and it wont. i have heard that Kawis need to have them reset but i cant find out how!!

Yes, I did...

First of all, it is very frustrating to set without the proper supplies.

To make it easy, a good meter that can read to 0.000v. These can be had for $20-25.

Next I recommend picking up the Kawasaki part called "Throttle Sensor Setting Adapter" which is like $10-15. It's worth it because it plugs inline to the TPS wires, and stubs you out a rubber shielded test point for all 3 wires. And you can slide your meter probes between the connector and the rubber sheathing for hands free reading of the meter while you are working.

Just check it to start with.
Stock is 0.58v - 0.62v at closed throttle.
Most guys set from 0.62v - 0.64v.

I ran 0.636v for a long time as that was as close as I could get it nailed down.

Anyways, if you see that it needs adjustment, there is a torx screw in the TPS. Loosen it and you will find the sensor can rock back/forth... and voltage will change when you move it.

The hard part is getting it set where you want it and getting the screw back tight. It will change every time you try to tighten it down.

It's best to accept it will take several attempts... and to always cycle the throttle to wide open and back a few times before accepting the results.

MtnEX
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Dirtjunkie85

Oh, and after a lot of time and frustration, I figured out my problems where not the throttle position sensor or any other sensor. It was the stock ECU the whole time. It was bad. Replaced it with the one in my signature line and now it starts great, runs great and does not drain the battery.

Dirtjunkie85
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Okay thank you. i will try that! thanks again for the help!