PDA

View Full Version : race gas in FI quads?

mebcop
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I was really considering a higher compression piston to also help with the low end on my DS's. Having to run race gas doesn't bother me cuz I don't get to ride all the time so it wouldn't be that expensive. I was just wondering if race gas will hurt the Fuel Injection system on our quads, and how do you store it for a couple weeks between rides? Thanx

fastford
05-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I dont see you gaining anything out of it. Wont hurt anything.

witech
05-23-2009, 04:33 AM
From our Cannondale experience oxygenated fuels such as U4 did swell the orings of the quick connects but i dont know if the ds has such items. It wont hurt the injectors or fuel pumps. i dont know about the ds fuel lines but I recomend teflon lined ones instead of rubber for fuel injection. Most race fuels should be drained and stored in metal sealed cans to keep them fresh or just plan on using it all within a couple days . If left in the quad the highly volitile contents will escape and it will diminish the performance gains. Sunlight ,moisture ,and open venting are what ruin the expensive fuels.

mebcop
05-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by fastford
I dont see you gaining anything out of it. Wont hurt anything.

Really? Higher cylinder pressure while not detonating doesn't increase performance? weird...

ltr311
05-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by mebcop
I was really considering a higher compression piston to also help with the low end on my DS's. Having to run race gas doesn't bother me cuz I don't get to ride all the time so it wouldn't be that expensive. I was just wondering if race gas will hurt the Fuel Injection system on our quads, and how do you store it for a couple weeks between rides? Thanx

Race gas is fine with fi. There is absolutely no reason to think otherwise.

As far as storing race gas, I find gas cans work the best. LOL Dont need anything special.

fastford
05-23-2009, 09:17 AM
ok fine had my DS on the dyno with 91 octane and a 91 C12 mix and the gain was .02hp which could be just a cooler motor or just a variation. Octane isnt going to do jack unless your compression is changed or your timing is advanced to a point of detonation. I have seen this on many small blocks on engine dynos. And since you dont have a distributor to advance your timing or an aftermarket 12.5+ to one compression piston I wouldnt waste the time. Just my 2 cents.

mebcop
05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by fastford
ok fine had my DS on the dyno with 91 octane and a 91 C12 mix and the gain was .02hp which could be just a cooler motor or just a variation. Octane isnt going to do jack unless your compression is changed or your timing is advanced to a point of detonation. I have seen this on many small blocks on engine dynos. And since you dont have a distributor to advance your timing or an aftermarket 12.5+ to one compression piston I wouldnt waste the time. Just my 2 cents.

unless your compression is changed

That's what I'd be doing... I understand that unless you NEED higher octane to supress knock, it doesn't help you, but if I go to a 13.5:1 piston, I'll DEFINITELY need higher octane....

fastford
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Sorry I missed that some how lol

ltr311
05-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Id suggest just running vp110 or sunoco 110. C12 will lose power ran straight. Ive tested it in several machines vs. sunoco 110 and sunoco always made more power. If you are able to come across av gas just run that. Cheap and the 100 octane would be plenty at 13.5 compression. All the guys around here run it. Some even as high as 14.5 compression with no issues ever. Been running it for years. Good cheap gas. Its all about what you get for your buck these days and c12 is WAY OVERPRICED and rated.