PDA

View Full Version : 99 400ex new to me, what to check first

87aaron
05-22-2009, 06:36 AM
I just bought a well used 99 400ex. I'm new to ATVs. First thing I'll do is change the oil and check the spark plug, air filter, and brakes. I'll try to borrow a motorcycle jack and get the wheels in the air to check for play.

In my very preliminary examination, it's missing the back skid plate. The plastics are tore up. The starter button is broken, but someone put on an extra button. There's a slight straight line wobble from the rear end - I don't know if it's tires or axle.

What else should I check/replace on my initial check up?

What are good sources for cheap parts besides ebay?

I'm not looking for a hotrod, just a reliable stock bike.

derekhonda
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
to check your rear bearings (for the wobble) jack up the rear and, and then grab a tire and see how much play it has side to side. If it doesnt have much, take off your tires (while its still jacked up) and put it in first gear and see if your axle spins true (incase the axle is bent) If that still looks good, you might want to dismount your tires and see if your rims roll straight.

Things to do before you hit the trail:

Check/Charge Battery

Change Oil/oil filter

Check/Clean airfilter

Change Plug

Tire Pressure

Fill with Gas

As far as the rear skidplate, as long as where you ride isn't real rocky or lots of logs in the trails, some guys ride without a skid just for the extra Ground clearance.

Ebay or this site is where I would buy good used parts, just be careful and pay with paypal.

bbender85
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
sounds like you have the major things covered. also check and make sure the chain has the right amount of slack, and inspect the front and rear sprockets for excessive wear.

i bought mine well used too... was ridden hard and put away wet.

a good source for parts is the classifieds forums on this website; if you're looking for used stuff like i do. everything i haven't bought on ebay for mine, i've bought here.

dw0095
05-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Put your ex on pavement and stand on the pegs, shift your weight from side to side. You can tell if your bearings are shot if it shakes a lot. Should only feel the flexing of the tires.

I too bought a wheeler that was well used and am about 95% to having it just about brand new.

Tommy Warren
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
If you ride trails and mud with your rear skidplate off you going to run your chain through dirt, sand, and mud and thats going to cause premature chain wear!! also make sure to go over the frame and check for cracks. also post some pics of your new toy for us!!:D

87aaron
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, I changed the oil - it was black.

Air box lid is missing. Air box is partially broken. It has a steel screen with a loose fitting Moose foam over it. The elbow to the carb wasn't attached.

Battery box is broken.

Lots of missing bolts.

Front fender support and plastic is broken.

Right inner tie rod end is bad. Can you buy just the ends or do you just buy tie rods of ebay?

Rear end bearings are all over the place. Looks like it has a red anodized bearing carrier. Do you just buy new bearings or do you have to take it apart to see if the carrier is okay?

Chain roller is bent or something.

Couple of wires to nowhere.

Looks like I have a project.

02' trx400ex
06-17-2009, 11:55 PM
if it wobbles up and down its your bearings. if its left to right some of the threads might be stripped on your axle lock nut.