PDA

View Full Version : For buddy quad...250EX or Mongoose 300?

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
I've got my 400EX, but I have a brother who has never rode, a wife who isn't into shifting and a few yuppie friends who just aren't all that coordinated and entirely new to the sport (Quad-virgins)....

So I'm actually considering what would be a good buddy-quad for friends and "coordination-challenged" people to ride.

The 250EX comes to mind....it can be shifted or it's automatic. The rear drive-shaft is bullet-proof and it's a Honda. Why not?

Another consideration is the Kymco Mongoose 250 or 300....pretty much the same thing as the Honda but fully automatic, water-cooled and reportedly equally bullet-proof reliable. The chain may be more responsive then the Honda's shaft too.

I dunno...any other quads to consider? I think staying automatic or semi-automatic is a definite need.

Thanks....

SPDSNYPR
05-22-2009, 02:11 AM
I bought a 250 ex for the wife and son who's now getting interested in riding (he's 11, almost 5-00 and 100lbs). The 250ex is great. It's not automatic - it just has the sport clutch. You still have to shift - you just don't have to use the clutch if you don't want. It's a great feature.

I put 20" rear tires on it to alleviate some of the tippiness. I ride it around on occasion and it is a ball. Enough power and torque to haul my fat *** around. Maintanence is stupid simple, brakes are good, suspension is OK for just general riding (wouldn't jump it a lot).

Never tried the Kymco's but with the prices you can walk away with the Honda for I'd never even think of the Kymco.

Good luck.

Obligitory pic:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/quads/0318091615.jpg

deathcorefan2
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
i would go with the mongoose. it is auto and chain is always nice!

Frostbite
05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Wait?! What?! I have a 2001 Honda 250ex and it doesnt have a clutch, is that a feature on newer models??

puTTs
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
2006 and newer 250ex's have a "sport clutch". It's a manual clutch attached to an auto clutch/centrifugal clutch. You don't have to use the manual clutch but it is much smoother if you do. It works the same as any manual clutch bike except the auto clutch slips/disengages both clutchs at idle or slightly above so the bike cannot stall at slow speeds. At higher engine RPMs you can clutch the bike like normal to keep the RPMs up or to help break the rear end loose.

My vote is for the 250ex. I bought my GF a new 2006 250Ex and she loves this thing. We've had no problems what so ever with her bike in the 3 years we've had it. I've rode her bike a few times myself. Normal trail riding I can't really tell a difference between the 250ex and my 400ex. The 250 has plenty of low end grunt and has handled every thing my 400 has. With me riding it not the GF. :)

beags86
05-22-2009, 04:36 PM
go with the honda, the resale value will be higher down the road.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah...the Kymco Mongoose is modelled after the 250EX, both look great and owners across the board say they're bulletproof.

All things considered, there are lots of '07 Honda 250EX's avaiable at dealers for $2,700 and even a few deals on used stuff. Not like I'm saving much going with the Kymco. Why buy the Honda knock-off when you can have the real thing? Plus, it'll match my 400EX so nicely...I can do it up with nerf's, hand guards and all the goodies to match. Oh, it'll be so cute...then we'll get the nails done, have our hair put-up and then go shopping for shoes...then get lunch down the street at the cute cafe where they have that wonderful salad that comes with a slice of cantelope! :blah:

LOL...sarcastic tangent there, just for humor, not picking on anyone.

I kinda wish I could ride them both, but I bet they're both solid quads. Given the near same price, I'm gonna have to stick with the Honda...if nothing else, the resale and the many more parts available to suit my A.A.D.S. issue. Hey, I'm not A.A.D.S. I'm just stock-challenged!!! :D

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by beags86
go with the honda, the resale value will be higher down the road.

Dude...you wrote that as I typed the same thing! :D

Btw, a beer right about now WOULD hit the spot. :devil:

450rJam
05-22-2009, 04:44 PM
get the honda, you wont be sorry

and with the sport clutch it will be more fun to ride than some automatic off brand

(if your 400 goes down which would you rather ride for a week?)

SPDSNYPR
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
there are lots of '07 Honda 250EX's avaiable at dealers for $2,700

I got ours last month ( an 07) brand new in the crate for $2300 OTD. Shop around just a little and you should be able to find similar deals.

katch26
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
the 250ex is nice but its a catch 22 for me. I love the low maintenance aspect of the shaft drive (esp for a buddy bike) but I hate the idea of not being able to adjust gearing ratios when you change tires or want more low end etc

they are solid bikes though

just thought of something and these are all just personal opinions BUT it is a little small for an overall buddy bike. I bought a used 400 for my buddy bike they are everywhere for relatively cheap and youre already familiar with them.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
I got ours last month ( an 07) brand new in the crate for $2300 OTD.

$2,300 OTD....oh hell brother, you didn't buy it, you STOLE it...that's a great price!!!!!

I bought my daughter an '07 90EX for the same price, but we're in L.A. and with the higher overhead, rent and greater inventory movement, we don't have the deals all the time.

Yeah, I'm going Honda for sure. I guess the only reason I was thinking about the Kymco was that it had the name Kim in the name...and I knew this hot girl named Kim; she used to wear these really sexy outfits and when she flirted with you, your heart would just pound and there was this one time at Band Camp when she.....are you guys still reading this rant?? :D

Rkangel7
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
On our last trip to the dunes my brother rode a Kymco Mongoose 300. They seem to be well built. The suspension is pretty firm though. This was an 06 or 07. They supposedly made some changes to the suspension on the newer ones. Don't know if they softened the ride or not. The CVT is nice for beginners, but does eat a little power. Overall the mongoose seems to be a good machine that newer riders can have fun on without surprises. It does have its limits. It won't charge up big hills, pull taller dunes, or pop wheelies like a 400.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Rkangel7
It does have its limits. It won't charge up big hills, pull taller dunes, or pop wheelies like a 400.

Have to agree with you on that. The quad I originally bought for myself (and ended-up giving to my wife so I could buy the 400EX) was an MXU300...sport-utility quad built pretty much the same as the Mongoose 300....but the MXU has shaft-drive and a Low-Gear.

I was going up a fairly steep hill in Low and it barely got me up. Granted I weight 235 pounds and the hill was steep, but still...for Low gear it should have grinded up that thing. Yep: automatic tranny & shaft-drive steal the HP!

SPDSNYPR
05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I think my right leg weighs 235. The 250ex is still just fine power-wise.

My bis arse playing on the 250ex
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/quads/IMG_1538.jpg

Punkmaster Flex
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I own a 250EX and I think it's great for trail. I do a lot of MX track tho and past the 3rd gear it's starting to lack a bit of juice on tight sections. Still good if it's only for the wife and friends! :)

Pic of the mean machine:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/Jonathan_Jacques/250EX/250ex_01.jpg

450rJam
05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
250ex topping little sahara oklahoma's buttercup

they are not the fastest but they are more than enough to enjoy

(maybe if your buddy bike isnt too good your buddies will buy their own)

tri5ron
05-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
Why buy the Honda knock-off when you can have the real thing? Plus, it'll match my 400EX so nicely...I can do it up with nerf's, hand guards and all the goodies to match. Oh, it'll be so cute...then we'll get the nails done, have our hair put-up and then go shopping for shoes...:blah:

LOL...sarcastic tangent there, just for humor, not picking on anyone.

if nothing else, the resale and the many more parts available to suit my A.A.D.S. issue. Hey, I'm not A.A.D.S. I'm just stock-challenged!!! :D

Yep, the A.A.D.S. can zero in on the 250EX too.
Here's the Wifes bike with some symptoms of the Disease...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/IMG_72991.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/IMG_73071.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/IMG_73081.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/IMG_8828.jpg

It Does match my 400ex nicely...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8210.jpg

And Yes,...
with THAT rear Luggage, she can even go Shopping to !!!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/IMG_8847.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D
A.A.D.S. Know's NO Limits !!! LOL !!!