PDA

View Full Version : Enduring the Pain

trailrider894
05-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys whats up. I just thought i would kinda share my story with you guys about how I chose not to give up the sport. :D

So at the age of 9 i was dianosed with Femural Tortion ( my hips are turned inwards unlike everyone elses ) the problem casue SEVERE leg cramps and aches after any type of physical exertion of any kind. On top of that I have Scholiosis ( my back has a S shaped bend in it ) causing some minor to moderate pain on a daily basis. And to top it all of i have some pretty major lower back and knee problems. I couldn't fullfil my childhood dream of playing High School Baseball because the pain of running and stuff was to great . So when i was around 8 or 9 I saw my first real race quad. I was hooked the moment I saw it. I started saving and saving and yep you guessed it i saved a little bit more. and finally at 14 bought my 2000 400ex . I had some pretty serious pain after hyper extending both of my knees in the same year as i got the quad. At times the pain was bad enough i would almost pass out. But i rode on and no matter what ailed me next i kept going.

Here I am at 16 now and i'm teaching my little bro all about riding and i have my little sister's steering the EX on the occasion. So no matter what the injury keep it going and help teach our next generation of racers. whether they are 4 or 40 keep them riding. Keep yourself riding

I hate to seem like i'm throwing a pity party here, but i had a freind who just gave it up because he kept spraining his wrist! and another freind who broke his thumb and said he was done. and i don't wanna see our sport die because some people are p u s s y's.

Thankx for reading.
God Bless

hondariderdylan
05-22-2009, 06:32 AM
there needs to be more riders out there like you
i know several people that could care less about riding if there is somthing else to do, i say oh well and go ride

most everyday people out there nowadays would have said"i will just get hurt on that quad with the problems i have",but you didnt
and your passing it on to younger people who hopefully will follow behind us

you sir, are an example to the rest of us:)

scuzz
05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Most people I know gave up sport "X" for a girlfriend or another sport.

None of my friends stopped doing anything at 16 because of an injury.

LTandRaptorider
05-22-2009, 08:23 AM
And now an old man will weigh in... :p

After almost 23 years of riding, I have broken at least 22 bones. Not sure of the actual count, since my short term memory still suffers after severe brain trauma from a wreck a few years ago. Over the years, I have watched others give up riding, or get rid of their sport quads and get utes after seeing my wrecks... But at least they still ride. My last wreck was at a race almost 2 years ago. I broke 6 bones in my back and 4 ribs. Did that on a Friday night, but was back to work Monday morning. I like pain, let's me know I'm still alive! Anyway, since the last wreck, I have debated getting out of riding. But I still really enjoy it! My 2 quads are an LT250R and LTR450, and I don't ride slow. Guess I am goofy, but I still enjoy a day of fast ripping through the woods! But everyone is different, and they have different responsibilities. As long as my body still allows, and I have the drive to do it, I will continue to ride. It will be a sad day when I no longer do... But I'm waaay too young to think about that! :blah:

trailrider894
05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
ha ha well you picked to take chances that broke those bones and i was born this way. and broken bones heal and eventualy the pain almost completely go's away. ( i've broken bones before to ) but my pain never ever ever goes away.

MX MaNiAc 06
05-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I heard of Femural Tortion before. From what I hear it hurts to walk let alone ride. Props to you for sticking in there.

I've broken my femur and tibia in my right leg. Metal rods in both. veryone calls me an idiot for still riding but I'm not gonna quit! Just gotta learn to ride smooth for the least amount of pain. You can put up with a good amount of pain. Some people just can't handle it. Once you have to live with it just like you and I, no one will truly understand.

trailrider894
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
and people don't really get how much more pyhsicaly demanding it is for us.

LTandRaptorider
05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
ha ha well you picked to take chances that broke those bones and i was born this way. and broken bones heal and eventualy the pain almost completely go's away. ( i've broken bones before to ) but my pain never ever ever goes away.

Wasn't implying I didn't take chances that caused my injuries. Whether born with probs, or getting them later... We still play with the pain. ;) And no, the pain doesn't almost completely go away... But oh well. :cool:

SRH
05-23-2009, 11:38 PM
ive noticed pain is something that once u have it you learn to live with it, initially when i broke my back it was intense pain then after 10-15 minutes i could cope now i just have minor back pain

i cant understand how some people need pain killers, and physical therapy for pain....i mean suck it up no one in this world cares if you hurt or your sad you just gottqa live your life when it comes down to it, i kinda feel like society makes people who have disabilities or pain feel like there entitled to just laying on the couch....i disagree with that, i think you need to keep moving on with your life, the world doesnt stop turning because you been dealt a ****ty hand thats for sure

907Rider
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Props to you for sticking in there! :)

Originally posted by SRH
i cant understand how some people need pain killers, and physical therapy for pain....i mean suck it up no one in this world cares if you hurt or your sad you just gottqa live your life when it comes down to it, i kinda feel like society makes people who have disabilities or pain feel like there entitled to just laying on the couch....i disagree with that, i think you need to keep moving on with your life, the world doesnt stop turning because you been dealt a ****ty hand thats for sure

I agree with you 100%

KXRida
05-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I feel for you guys. I'm 19 and the stuff I've put my body through is crazy. haha I'm typing this with my knee being iced. Usually the day after I go riding it swells up and gets inflammed like it is now. Out of all my injuries the only two that give me problems regularly are my back and my ankles. I've broken my left ankle five times and my right one four times resulting in two pins and four screws in my left ankle. I'm now starting to get the beginning of arthritis. Yah haha you make fun of old people for it, but it really sucks. My back also is starting to act up. Almost a year ago to the day I broke T7, T9, and L1 vertebrae then compression fractured T9 through L1. After I healed up I didn't have any problems, but since shoveling snow throughout the winter it's been giving me quite a few problems. It's do able, but I just have to be careful. I too now slightly have Scholiosis resulting from my injury. People always ask why I do and I can't give them an answer. It's just that one thing that I love to do no matter what. I'm not going to let my injuries hold me back from anything I want to do.

As for the pain completely going away... nerve damage is a *****. It's always there in my back.

sly400ex
05-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey SRH, I just wanted to say I have utmost respect for you and all that you are going through. You are inspirational for other people that are dealing with injuries. :muscle: