PDA

View Full Version : Should you run a Reed Spacer?

kouki
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the reed spacer will make any difference on my new setup. The old setup had the spacer, stock cylinder, just exhaust, reeds, and filter. Now I'm putting on a 310 ESR kit, and am wondering if I should run the reed spacer or not. I have an 88, ESR 310 with TRX9 porting, pump gas dome, Boysen rad valve with dual stage reeds, 38mm Air Striker, LRD adjustable pipe, and open airbox. I'm looking for a good all around machine, I mostly ride trails, open fields, a few mx type tracks, and alot of freestyle jumping. I want something that I can lug down in some tight trails without too much clutching, and will run with or better than my buddies 450s. Will the reed spacer make much difference in this setup or will it just be one more place for an air leak? I want to put this together tomorrow night so any help would be appreciated.

1promodfan
05-22-2009, 05:40 AM
I would say no. I tried it with my old set-up, and not really a difference. I talked to Neil (C-Leigh Racing) about this a while back. He told me its really use-less. I trust his knowledge over almost everybody else's. He said something about if you have a high top-end motor it may help out one little bit on the low end..... something like that. Maybe he'll chime in and give his 2cents worth.

All250R
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
To properly know if you need a reed spacer or not is to know if you need more or less crankcase compression/volume. It's the opposite of stuffing the cases. If you don't know what effect that is going to have on your motor, don't waste your money.

The commonality of reed spacers I believe is because they conveniently take up the 1/2" of space left by the CR reed boot when you go to a bigger carburetor and has nothing to do with requiring less crankcase compression. It's just a convenient work around with a side effect that people often ignore.