PDA

View Full Version : which fishing reel?

raptorkid
05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
A question for any fishers out there. I cant deside between a baitcasting or a spinning reel. Please put advantages and disadvantages. And pics of any fish you cought

Thanks

stuntin andy
05-22-2009, 05:03 AM
a bait reel is to catch smal small fish and the outher real your talking about is a noemak one...... we mostly rune spinning reels but bait reels go on a bait rod witch u catch bait with ie the name lol

TN_cowboy
05-22-2009, 06:14 AM
the bait caster will backlash and you will have a bird nest if you do not have it set up for your lure. it is a real smooth reel. the spinning is also a good real a lot easier to us you tie on the lure and throw it out there. i don care for the spinning much i get a hot spot in between my fingers after a long day of fishing.

Kickstarts-suck
05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Baitcasters are a PITA.

I have 2 and I always end up using my little $20 Zebco 33.

deathcorefan2
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Baitcasters are a PITA.

I have 2 and I always end up using my little $20 Zebco 33.

me too! all my friends make fun of me for using push button poles when they use baitcasters but i catch just as many fish as them

Quad18star
05-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Bait casters are nice depending on what you're fishing for. I find they work best when fishing for walleye . It may take a while to get used to a baitcaster because you have to stop the reel as soon as the lure or bait hits the water or else you end up with a birds nest like someone else mentioned.

Spinning reels are the easiest to use and a great all around rod. I like a spinner that comes back to center and doesn't lock in the position when you stop reeling in your line. I also prefer one that has a trigger to unlock the barrel , rather than have to open the barrel by hand.

I use both kinds and they equally as good ... one just takes a bit more practice.

ZeroLogic
05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/spirex_rg.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif

Enough said.:o

Snowskidr
07-08-2009, 08:03 PM
i like using my baitcasters for bigger fish because i like throwing bigger lures with baitcasters. not only that, they have high gear ratios for quickly and powerfully reeling in your catch. i have found that using braided line is much better on a baitcaster. also, bigger lures are easier to cast on a baitcaster. they take some time to get used to but ive been using them for about 8 months now (fishing 3-4 days a week, 8-10hrs a day) and on a full day of fishing i might only backlash 3-4 times. you just have to remember to adjust the breaks and bearings for the weight of what you are throwing. alot of people dont get the correct rod for a baitcaster. you want something with a good snap to it. if it has too slow of a slap or action it seems to me that it creates more backlashes. i know guys who can cast a baitcaster all day with brakes and bearings set to zero resistance and only backlash once or twice. i still only use a spinning reel for certain baits/lures but i think a baitcaster is the best way to fish several types of jerk baits and cranks. i would suggest when buying a baitcaster, get something thats comfortable and not too big in your hand. also, dont get the cheapest one. get something that is atleast $80 and it should make a difference. the cheaper ones just dont perform that great. i have also found that the more $ i spend on the real, the better i can cast it. i guess that backs up the ole saying of "you get what you pay for".