PDA

View Full Version : How hard to change your own tire?

BikeSwimLaugh
05-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I've got a Honda 400EX, running 22 & 20-inch tires. I know every tire brand is a bit different, but is this something I really should take to a tire dealer or can I buy a good breaker-bar and do it myself?

I'm planning on changing all 4 tires, I know it's probably easier, faster and more practical to just go to a place (and I can afford it), but it also seems like having a breaker-bar and knowing how to do it myself would be a good thing for when we're out camping or on the trail.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

nakomis0
05-21-2009, 06:59 PM
It can be a pain in the butt. 4 tires would take atleast an hour if things go right. I wouldn't be suprised if it was 2hrs.

I would call and see the cost atleast. I know I have taken 2 rear spiked out ice tires to Discount tire before and the guy said don't worry about it its free. Doubt you'd be that lucky but anything under $40 is worth it.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-21-2009, 11:17 PM
LOL....reason I asked it weird.

I got a small gash on the outer sidewall of my front left tire. We actually scuffed the area, applied that vulcanized rubber cement and attached a small rectangular patch. We then shot a CO-2 cartridge of air into the tire and it held air all the way back to the truck! When I got home I jacked about 20-pounds into the tire just to see if it would hold, and it did!

Problem I have is that EVERYONE is out of stock on the Maxxis Razr2 in 22 7x10 and I may need to wait 2-3 weeks before shipments arrive. Anyone who says they expect it sooner is lying! They have no arrival date and just speculate early June.

So....I was going to steal a page from my book of mountain biking with tubeless tires: remove the tire and attach (glue) a serious piece of rubber patch to the INSIDE of the tire, thus having the air-pressure itself helping to keep the tire patched. This being more sturdy then the external patch currently on it. In other words, I was considering limping on this lame tire for a couple weeks until the new stuff arrives. My better sense tells me NOT to ride on a repaired tire like this, but removing the tire would be the first step.

As for the cost of doing 4 tires, I've found a few local places that'll charge just $10 per tire, BUT that's when you buy the tires from them. Walking-in with my own set, I'm sure the price goes up, but there's another place where I bought 3 quads and I'm sure they'll be up to give me a break.

It's always something....

BakerRacing40
05-21-2009, 11:53 PM
having a bead breaker is a very nice thing. however it's fact that'll you'll be saying some naughty words.. lol .. all my dwt and itp wheels usually break down easy, that probably has something to do with them being replaced so often.. the ones that are the real pain is stock stuff that's been on a while and most stock wheels have a double bead for safety.. but get them broke down. soapy water on tire bead and wheel bead, and using a couple decent sized flat screw drivers start rolling the tire off.. take small "bites" with the screw drivers or you'll rip the bead..

i don't recommend this way but i guess if it works? it made me laugh..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgu8wF6S1Pk

ricksmx865
05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
LOL....reason I asked it weird.

I got a small gash on the outer sidewall of my front left tire. We actually scuffed the area, applied that vulcanized rubber cement and attached a small rectangular patch. We then shot a CO-2 cartridge of air into the tire and it held air all the way back to the truck! When I got home I jacked about 20-pounds into the tire just to see if it would hold, and it did!

Problem I have is that EVERYONE is out of stock on the Maxxis Razr2 in 22 7x10 and I may need to wait 2-3 weeks before shipments arrive. Anyone who says they expect it sooner is lying! They have no arrival date and just speculate early June.

So....I was going to steal a page from my book of mountain biking with tubeless tires: remove the tire and attach (glue) a serious piece of rubber patch to the INSIDE of the tire, thus having the air-pressure itself helping to keep the tire patched. This being more sturdy then the external patch currently on it. In other words, I was considering limping on this lame tire for a couple weeks until the new stuff arrives. My better sense tells me NOT to ride on a repaired tire like this, but removing the tire would be the first step.

As for the cost of doing 4 tires, I've found a few local places that'll charge just $10 per tire, BUT that's when you buy the tires from them. Walking-in with my own set, I'm sure the price goes up, but there's another place where I bought 3 quads and I'm sure they'll be up to give me a break.

It's always something....

If you have to wait a few weeks patch it up best you can... get some wallyballs or pool noodles n go ride.

400exrider707
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Shouldn't be too hard since you have the taller tires. Get a truck and a friend. Have the friend stand on the rim/tire combo. Drive your truck tire over the sidewall of the tire, and poof, off the tire goes from the bead. If necessary rotate the tire/wheel as necessary to peel the tire off the bead. Then flip over and repeat other side. one entire wheel/tire combo shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to pop off the bead. Then use screwdrivers/spoons/tire irons to take the tire off the rim. Next clean the bead of the new tires and the bead on the rim and lube them. Slide the rims into the new tires and inflate! Simple...

BakerRacing40
05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Shouldn't be too hard since you have the taller tires. Get a truck and a friend. Have the friend stand on the rim/tire combo. Drive your truck tire over the sidewall of the tire, and poof, off the tire goes from the bead. If necessary rotate the tire/wheel as necessary to peel the tire off the bead. Then flip over and repeat other side. one entire wheel/tire combo shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to pop off the bead. Then use screwdrivers/spoons/tire irons to take the tire off the rim. Next clean the bead of the new tires and the bead on the rim and lube them. Slide the rims into the new tires and inflate! Simple...

haha i've done that before... tires that don't want to come off the bead easy or out at a ridding area to fix a flat..

400exrider707
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
haha i've done that before... tires that don't want to come off the bead easy or out at a ridding area to fix a flat..

It doesn't work well on smaller diameter tires that are wider, like an 18" tall tire with 10" width. It's a lot easier on front tires. More sidewall to bite with the truck tire. It can still be done though...

riles88g
06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
It can be a pain in the butt. 4 tires would take atleast an hour if things go right. I wouldn't be suprised if it was 2hrs.

I would call and see the cost atleast. I know I have taken 2 rear spiked out ice tires to Discount tire before and the guy said don't worry about it its free. Doubt you'd be that lucky but anything under $40 is worth it.

lol an hour... i have two mini tire irons and i can do 4 in 20 min....

Balaz_73*00
06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

Guess you got lucky. I was trying to get 18x10x8's off my single beadlock hipers and couldn't even do it by driving on the tire like you said. Fought it for about 2 hours before I took the pair to the local tire place. $12 total for the swap. Even the machine had a hard time breaking the bead.

400exrider707
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Guess you got lucky. I was trying to get 18x10x8's off my single beadlock hipers and couldn't even do it by driving on the tire like you said. Fought it for about 2 hours before I took the pair to the local tire place. $12 total for the swap. Even the machine had a hard time breaking the bead.

Like i said, the rear tires are harder to do, low profile, so there isn't a lot of surface area for the truck tire to grab. It will just fold the atv tire over, instead of actually driving over it like the front tires.

Balaz_73*00
06-05-2009, 02:03 PM
My bad I meant to say my front tires off of front single beadlock hipers.

ezdaar
06-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I have this tool below. The longest part of changing a tire is removing and installing the lugnuts!
I can swap 4 tires in 30 minutes by myself.
Its so easy! I am now changing tires for anyone who asks for 5$ per tire. I can even do 35" x 12.5 TSL swampers with this rig. both removal and instal.
Now the boggers do take 3 ppl to wrestle the big ******s around, but it still only takes about 10 mins.

I bolted it down to plastic pallet for stability.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542&xcamp=nextag&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&zmam=33951326&zmas=12&zmac=125&zmap=34542